Fish saved from dropsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Water Baby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All

I just had to share this as I had a recent experience with saving a fish which had developed dropsy. This is the first time I have ever had success in saving a fish from this usually fatal condition.

My comet Nemo developed a swelling behind one of her gills which I suspected could have been caused by parasites, an ulcer or a bacterial infection, or a combination - my other 2 fish were healthy. She was also sitting on the bottom a lot and looking worn out. I put her into a quarantine tank and treated her with levamisole hydrochloride (for parasites) with no success. She got worse and her scales started sticking out and eventually she stopped eating. I lost a fish with the same symptoms about 6 months earlier and had tried numerous medications with that one too.

I decided to try the natural approach. I isolated Nemo into a quarantine tank, pumping lots of oxygen through the filtered water. I gave her daily doses of tonic salt and epsom salts as well as pimafix and melafix. Each day I would siphon the stones and change 25% of her water with cycled, filtered water. I used double dosages of both stress zyme and stress coat to cycle the water each day. As well as this I gave her frozen fish foods (and shelled peas) rubbed with fresh garlic each day. I saw daily improvement until - 2 weeks later - she was well enough to be returned to the tank.

It's now about 2 months later and she is till perfectly healthy with no signs of illness. I wouldn't hesitate to use this natural method of healing in future if required (which I hope it isn't!).

I hope this helps another fish in need :)

Back
Top Bottom