Fish scratching on driftwood (not ich?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buzzkiller

Aquarium Advice Regular
So about 3 weeks ago I brought home a panda garra fish. Hes really awesome but has been scratching against the sand and driftwood. He does not do it frequently but today I noticed a congo scratch for the first time. Its been 3 weeks and there are no white spots on any of the fish even the garra. Are there any other parasites that could be doing this. Also if anyone knows a general anti parasiticals out there that isn't too harsh on fish that may be the best option. Thank in advance for any help!

No its mainly the body that they are scratching and scratch well after feeding time. They all seem to have no visible problems like a scrape or a scale loose. I will try feeding them some garlic food as I hear parasites tend to hate that.

How's water chemistry? High nitrates, etc can cause flashing. I had one case as well that I finally tracked down to a different brand of filter wool.

I'm not suggesting a med just yet but in answer to your earlier question, I find seachem products quite good.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/ParaGuard.html

Edit - think I have an article on garlic on desktop, will see if I can find it.

Water chemistry is fine. around 5 nitrate 0 ammonia 0 nitrite. I agree with you its not time for meds yet but I will probably buy some just to have it on hand.

Back
Top Bottom