Fish selection for a 185 gallon - viewing from top only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abemas

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm in the process of building an aquaponics setup that I've been planning on and off for the last few years. My fish tank is finally up and and comes in at 185 gallons give or take. In truth the purpose of the fish in my case is simply to create waste for the plants as I don't plan on eating them so I'm free to go outside the typical edible fish species (tiliapia, trout, etc.) My tank is made from an IBC tote and therefore the fish will only be visible from the top. The tank is in my basement and will be unheated so it will get as cool as 65 degrees in the dead of winter. So far I've considered, koi, fancy goldfish, bluegill, and catfish (the last two in case we decide to change our mind on the eating thing =).

Can anybody suggest an interesting fish that won't mind the cooler temp in the winter and would still be interesting while viewed from the top? This would be a limited or single species tank only.

Thanks!

Have you said no to fancies? They'd certainly produce enough waste!
My suggestion is guppies. It sounds boring, but when viewed from above you get flashes of tons of different colors and it looks surreal as you can't tell where they are coming from. Looks pretty cool, IMO. I'm not sure how well they'd do without a heater but if you could stick a heater for 100 gallons or so in there to keep it relatively warmish I think they'd be okay.

Actually fancy goldfish is what I've been leaning towards the most as some of the the fantail varieties look pretty nice from above.

I've thought about guppies but don't they need to be up in the mid to high 70's? Also, any recommendations on population control? =)

No koi but it's a nice sized tank and certainly can do fancies. A bit cooler than I would prefer but most of breeds can tolerate it. The more delicate ones, I would avoid. If you have any questions, just ask! Look forward to seeing pics!

Any suggestions on a fancy to keep for exclusive top down viewing? Maybe a fantail or something? (Celestials and bubble eyes give me the creeps.)

Shumbkins are my favorites they look great from all sides. Remind me of koi without the size issue.

Back
Top Bottom