Fish Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bumblebee27

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I'm buying a 20g and 40g tank.

For the 20g I'm thinking of stocking:
1x Betta
10?x Ember Tetra
6x Pygmy Cory
10x Cherry Shrimp

And for the 40g I'm thinking of stocking:
4x Keyhole Cichlid
6x Panda Cory or 6x Kuhli Loaches
Either one or 2 schools of small fish, maybe 10x Celestial Pearl Danio and 10x Neon Blue Tetras? Or maybe some Rosy tetras instead?

I plan on heavily planting both tanks and have some rocks, slate and driftwood

It's still a pretty rough idea, I was just wanting to get some opinions

Thanks in advance :)

I think you'd be overstocking both tanks. Remember, gravel and plants and driftwood take up maybe 10-20 percent of the space so you are looking at fewer gallons in each tank. In the 20 gallon, I'd skip the shrimp and in the 40 gallon the cichlids, which are semi-aggressive and would not work well with tetras or danios

In the ten skip the shrimp. They will be snacks for your fish. If you want to maintain a successful shrimp population, have a small shrimp only tank.

In the 40 your stock is fine. I have Keyhole cichlids in my 55 and they do well with my farlowella cats, bristle nose plecos, various tetras, angelfish, and ottos. They are extremely peaceful and timid. I think that you'll love them as much as I do.

Betta eat cherry shrimp. Bettas don't like tanks bigger than a 10 gallon because a bigger tank means a bigger filter, and they generally just like living alone. Skip the Betta and instead of cherries get amanos because their less likely to be eaten by any fish you might wish to add in the future. I have no experience with keyhole cichlids

Back
Top Bottom