Fish stuck in Protein Skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christine22780

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had a fish die on me...I dont know if it got stuck in the skimmer, OR if it just was trying to filter the water after he died.:eek:

Has anyone ever had this prob?

I have a clownfish and a clown goby that are WICKED SMALL. Should I fear the samething may happen to them in they go near the motor?:(

Last edited:
What kind of skimmer is this? I don't see how a fish can possibly pass thru a pump to get into the skimmer. It would get chopped up by the pump impeller, or at least jam the pump.

Let me clarify, I mean "stuck in the skimmer" as in were the water goes in..hes was vacumed to it, not inside the overhang...
I unpluged the skimmer and the fish sank to the tank.

If the fish couldn't swim away, it was weak and unhealthy. Any healthy fish is strong enough of a swimmer not to be sucked into a pump.

I was just thinking size wise too. The spot for the water to go in is bigger than the Chromis that it had stuck on it. I have 2 other tiny fish(smaller) I just didnt want to see that happen. Im used to much bigger fish than these small ones I am getting for my 2nd tank.

I agree with Larry that a healthy fish would not have had a problem getting away. It must have been sick or already dead.

Back
Top Bottom