Fish suddenly died, what about my plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlyCat25

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am not really sure what happened, although I have some theories. But, basically all of my fish died within a few days. I have three potted plants in my aquarium, are they ok to keep or should I just start over? I don't want whatever happened to happen again.

Depends if you're fish died because of ich or some disease that could affect plants you might wanna clean them. But you most likely do not want to get rid of the plants since they provide a healthier environment for fish as you probalbly know. Anyway did you cycle your tank. What were your ammonia nitrite and nitrate reading. If all your fish died closely in time it is in my experience usually high lvls of waste as in ammonia nitrate nitrate

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Telling us your reading will help a lot so this NEVER happens again and can be prevented

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Levels were good

Everything was testing fine. I had just added some shrimp and the tank I bought them out became restricted shortly after I purchased them. So I think they may have brought in something.

If all you have is plants then waiting 2-4 weeks would kill most common disease.
Some disease life cycle without a host(your fish) is as short as days if not just 1 week.
But without knowing it is best to play it safe.
Read up on fishless cycling so you know how to add ammonia to keep the tank cycled.

Do a 100% water change
Replace the substrate
Bleach dip the plants
Run filter in another tank or bucket till done.
Scrub and air dry any decor

That should get rid of Ick since you don't have to worry about fish.

Or just wait 2-4 weeks like bandit said

Caleb

Shrimp dont carry diseases that can effect fish.

What do you think killed your fish?

Did you put your plants in the tank directly from the store, if so a lot of places use their plant tanks as quarantine tanks . I would suggest removing the plants from the pots they came in and rinsing with a 1:10 bleach( plain bleach no additives) / water solution for 5 mins at most for the sensitive plants and using your own potting media

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom