Fish surfacing for unknown reasons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alshain

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The Story:

I had a business trip in CO for a week (dismally cold place, good to be back in Texas). Anyway, I get home to find my filter not pumping. After investigating I found the filter was clogged, my pre-filter fell off and some of my swordtail's were stupid enough to get sucked in. Thank god it was a Rena cause any other filter motor would have burned up. So I cleared the dead fish and started the filter and went to bed because it was an exhausting trip. I wake up in the morning to 1 more dead swordtail in the tank this time and
the water was cloudy white. (I couldn't see more than an inch into the tank) So I thought my bacterial colony died. So I did a full filter cleaning and replaced 75% of the water carefully and the fish went back to normal and stopped gasping, the water was also less cloudy. 4 hours later they are back at the surface but test results show no problems, the water is not as cloudy as it was I can see the whole tank.

The Tests:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: I lost my card but its orange, not red (AP test kit)
PH: 6.8
Temp: 78.7
GH: 6 dGH
KH: 4 dGH

I can't figure out what is wrong. Some help please!

Last edited:
Do you have an airstone in the tank. It appears to me like an oxygen problem. Possibly from an ammonia spike. Lower your water level a bit to create a bit more surface splash or add a bubbler or another one if you have already have one.

Lost a glowlight, a shame... he and one other have survived almost a year after the rest of their school died out.

I'm lowering the water level now. I usually keep surface movement down to avoid outgassing CO2 but I will worry about that later. I have a pump, I can run over to petsmart and get an air stone.

Last edited:
The fish dropped down almost the instant the water level lowered enough to start pounding the surface. That may have been the problem. I lowered it about half a foot from where I usually keep it, I will leave it there for a while so the tank can recover. I also added some Pimafix/Melafix as a precautionary measure to stave off infection while the fish themselves recover. I will keep you updated

Last edited:
24 hours later, all is well... except the fact that my tank is 75% full and the water is cloudier than the peaks of the Rockies were but the fish are happy anyway. Thanks for all your Zagz, now its just a waiting game.

Not yet but I have to go to the LFS tomorrow for excel anyway. Petsmart doesn't carry it, but the only LFS is clear across town.

Well, it looks like the water has already started clearing up. That went a lot faster than I expected. I went ahead and filled it to its normal spot, the haze is very minimal now and if I didn't know it was there already I probably wouldn't notice it.

Glad to hear it, get a bubbler as soon as you can so as to avoid having to lower the level again. Once again, I am glad everyone is doing well.

One of my White Clouds does it too. Thankfully i picked up a leaflet about common diseases at pets at home.
-External Parisites
-Slime Deisease
-Velvet
HE MAY NOT have a disease.

Theese are posible diseases.
I think it goes after a while

:: Dark

I read your thread about the crack. I wish I could offer you some concrete advise. I'll be praying for your tank though.

Back
Top Bottom