Fish tank remodeling help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanTheGuppyMan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi! I have a 60 gallon freshwater aquarium I have had for 2 years and I wish to totally remodel it and start all over with new decor, filters, etc. currently I have about 40 tropical fish in there (tetras, guppies, mollies, platies, etc.) and I want to get rid of all of them and create a beautiful angelfish tank. So how many angelfish can I fit into my 60 gallon? Any other larger fish that can stay with angelfish? So back to my original question. How do you think I should redo it? (Substrate, decor, etc.)...I really want the substrate something more natural than the ugly neon gravel I have...I wanted sand but I heard it was bad for angelfish and the tank itself. So what I a good, natural looking substrate for it?
I have attached pictures of my current tank, and the tank I'm aiming for. I love the second tank, but I'm not sure about the live plants. So any ideas? Thanks if you can help! Oh and the first pic is my tank, second is the tank I like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 133
Okay so apparently it won't let me add 2 pictures...

It would not let me add both pictures when I posted the thread, so I will post it here instead-the pic in the actual description is the tank I WANT, the one below is the one I am currently running.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 116
DanTheGuppyMan said:
Hi! I have a 60 gallon freshwater aquarium I have had for 2 years and I wish to totally remodel it and start all over with new decor, filters, etc. currently I have about 40 tropical fish in there (tetras, guppies, mollies, platies, etc.) and I want to get rid of all of them and create a beautiful angelfish tank. So how many angelfish can I fit into my 60 gallon? Any other larger fish that can stay with angelfish? So back to my original question. How do you think I should redo it? (Substrate, decor, etc.)...I really want the substrate something more natural than the ugly neon gravel I have...I wanted sand but I heard it was bad for angelfish and the tank itself. So what I a good, natural looking substrate for it?
I have attached pictures of my current tank, and the tank I'm aiming for. I love the second tank, but I'm not sure about the live plants. So any ideas? Thanks if you can help! Oh and the first pic is my tank, second is the tank I like.

Hm in a 60 judging that you expect to live full lives I wouldn't do more than 2 pairs, angelfish have very distinct attitudes they can be very nice or mean and once they start to pair up the others that are left could due from being bullied
Okay for substrate sand Is fine for angel fish, but if your going with live plants which I highly suggest you do, you can get organic potting soil and cap the top with sand so your plants can have sufficient nutrients when you put them, or pick low light plants that don't need as much nutrients such as different types of java tern anubias and mosses
For the scape just pick out slate and driftwood pieces that you would like in the style of the pic you put

I would not recommend more than 2 pairs personally, some say even that is pushing it. Pairs are quite aggressive, but beautiful :) .

Live plants are a hobby in themselves. Once you get in, there's no coming out. There are whole forums dedicated to freshwater plants, it's a popular hobby variation.

First off, what's your lights? I need all info regarding light intensity, size, k rating, etc. Whatever you can find.

I would not recommend dirt of any type if you plan on moving the plants or rescape very often. Dirt is very, very messy, and can cloud your water very fast. So if you don't mess with a lot of stuff, dirt is a very rewarding, rich, cheap form to grow plants in. If you have that, fertilizers are most likely never going to be necessary.

I would start out slow, with the really easy stuff. To name a few, there is Java Moss, Java Fern, Anubias, some types of Crypts, Hornwort, Anacharis, Najas (Guppy) grass.

I would recommend pool filter sand, a cheap and clean substrate, popular among planted tank enthusiasts.

Hope I helped a bit!

I've kept angels since the 80's in many size tanks and currently have 13 adults angels in a 220g heavily planted tank. The thing about angels is this, they do good singly or with two but if you want a group you need 6 or more. Reason being is with six angels, when they mature (about 8 months of age) there are enough that aggression is spread out and there are too many for any one single angel to get harrassed continuously. Honestly what you could do is try starting with 6 little ones, let them mature and pair off, you should get at least one pair with six, then pick a pair to keep and rehome the rest. You could keep two pairs if you get two but you will need to heavily plant to make territories and to break the line of sight from one end of the tank to the other. Also putting an Amazon sword at each end of the tank gives each pair (if you get two pairs you want to keep) a territory of their own. They really like have Amazon swords.

Are you set on keeping them with other large fish? You have so many otions. I have Rummy Nose and Cardinal tetras, Threadfin Rainbow fish, Longfin White Cloud Mountian Minnows, Rachovill killifish, cory's, yo-yo loaches, and a bristlenose pleco. There are people who keep Rainbowfish with angels. They are larger and you can get so many colors in them, they are a good option too.

Here's a couple pic's of my angel tank...

Attachments

• tank 11.jpg
    tank 11.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 94
  • tank 13.jpg
    tank 13.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 81
  • tank 3.jpg
    tank 3.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Tank 16 super veil angel.jpg
    Tank 16 super veil angel.jpg