Fish TB in Goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScubaDuba

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well, I wouldn't say it's an ordinary goldfish. It's shaped like an eel (which is how it's supposed to be), but I'm pretty sure it has fish TB. I need to treat it, we were thinking about just humanely euthanizing it, but I think we can cure it. I have a potential cure/treatment, but I have seen other odd symptoms from the fish. Like spewing blood from it's gills and breathing rapidly. All of my other fish are healthy and doing great, so that's why I have quarantined the sick fish. It has large tumors filled with fluid on both sides of it's stomach area and has a spinal deformity, which are both signs of fish TB. Goldfish are supposedly susceptible to fish TB. This disease can apparently affect the brain as well as the organs (like kidneys), so another sign is sort of just acting weird. For example, swimming backwards, swimming up to the top of the tank and then down again quickly, etc. The fish has a white pigmentation of the skin due to the white blood cells attempting to fend off the disease. The fish is still alive and I am trying to do as much as possible to help it. Any suggestions for treatment like salt baths or medications?

What exactly do you mean your goldfish is shaped like eel?? Can you please post a pic? What circumstances was he living under prior to becoming ill? Tank size, stocking, water parameters, water change schedule, length of time you had him? Tanks size, water parameters & treatments tried in qt?

Honestly, from your description, I would euthanize him immediately. If he spraying blood from his gills in addition to lesions/tumors, he is likely suffering from sepsis and he is leaking blood internally. You will need a vet & lab to positively id mycobacterium. There is no known cure and the risks to both yourself and infecting your other fish are very real. Finquel (MS-222) is the most accepted form of euthanasia for goldfish with clove oil being second. I am sorry.

jlk said:
What exactly do you mean your goldfish is shaped like eel?? Can you please post a pic? What circumstances was he living under prior to becoming ill? Tank size, stocking, water parameters, water change schedule, length of time you had him? Tanks size, water parameters & treatments tried in qt?

Honestly, from your description, I would euthanize him immediately. If he spraying blood from his gills in addition to lesions/tumors, he is likely suffering from sepsis and he is leaking blood internally. You will need a vet & lab to positively id mycobacterium. There is no known cure and the risks to both yourself and infecting your other fish are very real. Finquel (MS-222) is the most accepted form of euthanasia for goldfish with clove oil being second. I am sorry.

OK well that isn't good news, putting him out of his misery is the best possible thing to do so there is a strong chance I will do that. Like I said my other fish are very healthy and totally fine. I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank and I usually do water changes once a week, I have had him for about 2 years and he was fine for most of that time. I feed them twice a day and keep the pH level at about 7.0 to 7.2. I have a heater in my tank keeping the temperature at about 65 degrees (Fahrenheit). That is the ideal temperature for the fish I own according to the House of Tropicals (fish store). After this incident I'm going to take more time to clean my tank, do you have any tips for preventing disease other than adding some salt and changing water regularly?

How many/what type of fish are in the 20g? Do you have a test kit for your water? Sepsis, otherwise known as blood poisoning, typically is caused by a pathogen but it can also be caused by actual poisons such as ammonia and/or nitrite and the symptoms can be identical. Although I do not absolutely know which (or both) are behind your fish's symptoms, based on your description, I would still recommend ending his suffering.

I am taking guess here that you may have other goldfish? If so, please read the link below- it covers the basics for their care, diet, water changes etc. please ask any questions you may have!
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Back
Top Bottom