Fish tb? Old age?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could autopsy when removed??

See if any nodules in body, etc which would be unpleasant but perhaps peace of mind in sorting out one way or other? (Of course I suggest that comfortably tucked away on the sofa :) ).

Clinical signs of tuberculosis are quite variable. The most common signs are anorexia, emaciation, vertebral deformities, exophthalmus, and loss of normal coloration. Numerous variably sized granulomas are often observed in various organs throughout the body. Often numerous acid fast bacteria are observed in the granulomas.

I would euthanize and steri the tank(QT).
Know about PP?
Here's a quote from my favorite(sounds as sick as it is)columnaris link

• Finally, since Columnaris is an opportunistic aerobic infection even a well maintained aquarium can suffer from a Columnaris infection with even a slight opportunity for infection (assuming this bacterial pathogen is present). A common portal for a Columnaris infection is simply an older and weaker fish. Old age allows many opportunistic infections to get a foothold in at least the fish in question.
This is important to note, since treating a fish that has his/her immunity and normal body functions in decline may often be futile. This does not mean it is not worth while attempting a cure, only that an aquarium keeper should not beat him or herself up over failure to cure a favorite fish that has been well cared for since bringing the fish home. I have seen this with Bettas in particular over the years since these popular and personable fish often win us over in our hearts, but have a short lifespan even with the best of care (this lifespan can vary depending upon whether kept in an aquarium or bowl).

This was pulled from this link where you may find info on PP.
Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention
Sorry about your fish.

What I've been wondering and slightly off topic (but what the heck there's not going to be much interest in a new thread).

Is seems that something to clean the columnaris infection up first is suggested and then you could either stick with that or go with antibiotics.

So this is what I'm going to try next time and I'll see if I get shot down :)

First up into QT.

Dose acriflavine/MG here (maybe MB if infection in gills to be less harmful) OR try PP (H2O2 could be alternative which I do have in stock). I day treatment.

Wouldn't bother with medium level salt dosing as it never seems to do much but would keep temp down.

Then I'd go onto either kanaplax / furan 2 OR triple sulpha / ormetoprim.

Thoughts??

What I've been wondering and slightly off topic (but what the heck there's not going to be much interest in a new thread).

Is seems that something to clean the columnaris infection up first is suggested and then you could either stick with that or go with antibiotics.

So this is what I'm going to try next time and I'll see if I get shot down :)

First up into QT.

Dose acriflavine/MG here (maybe MB if infection in gills to be less harmful) OR try PP (H2O2 could be alternative which I do have in stock). I day treatment.

Wouldn't bother with medium level salt dosing as it never seems to do much but would keep temp down.

Then I'd go onto either kanaplax / furan 2 OR triple sulpha / ormetoprim.

Thoughts??
Works but personally......
Not my method. I disagree with the salt, I use it by the ton when theres a disease, its a oxidizing agent, kills bacteria/parasites esp in the gills where columnaris lives mostly and also improves gill function and slime coat and adds electrolytes
Methylene blue kills fungus, some bacteria/parasites and also improves oxygen within the fish (they die from columnaris when the gills are destroyed) and adds red blood cells to help fight the infection.
Salt, Methylene blue, Oxytetracycline food 3x a day for 10 days
I cured columnaris in a tankful of guppies sitting in a room with no AC in 7 days with the daytime temp around 85.
Kanamycin is waay too easy to overdose. Putting that into the water will work but why not just buy the feed and get it directly into the fish.... Pack them full of it because its very hard to overdose Oxytetracyeline.
Daily 50% water changes, double up stress coat and redose salt and MB

Dela I feel your pain and my self have not responded properly to your disease treatment questions on other threads.
I will start a Patassium Permaganate thread and expect you to be all in on it.
For real.
It will take a lot of time and legit research but I mention this route often as I have found it to work on more then one issue.
So as you have heard me say that even if the disease is not xxxx the treatment I mention works for other similar issues.
So you don't have play the perfect DR(Marcus Welby /Quincy) ,but one who was close enough to win.
The real trick to this product is proper mixing and dosing.
I personally feel this step into the past could shoot many ahead.
And to your post before ; yes condy crystals for you .

Works but personally......
Not my method. I disagree with the salt, I use it by the ton when theres a disease, its a oxidizing agent, kills bacteria/parasites esp in the gills where columnaris lives mostly and also improves gill function and slime coat and adds electrolytes
Methylene blue kills fungus, some bacteria/parasites and also improves oxygen within the fish (they die from columnaris when the gills are destroyed) and adds red blood cells to help fight the infection.
Salt, Methylene blue, Oxytetracycline food 3x a day for 10 days
I cured columnaris in a tankful of guppies sitting in a room with no AC in 7 days with the daytime temp around 85.
Kanamycin is waay too easy to overdose. Putting that into the water will work but why not just buy the feed and get it directly into the fish.... Pack them full of it because its very hard to overdose Oxytetracyeline.
Daily 50% water changes, double up stress coat and redose salt and MB

Good points, very good points as always :)

Dela I feel your pain and my self have not responded properly to your disease treatment questions on other threads.
I will start a Patassium Permaganate thread and expect you to be all in on it.
For real.
It will take a lot of time and legit research but I mention this route often as I have found it to work on more then one issue.
So as you have heard me say that even if the disease is not xxxx the treatment I mention works for other similar issues.
So you don't have play the perfect DR(Marcus Welby /Quincy) ,but one who was close enough to win.
The real trick to this product is proper mixing and dosing.
I personally feel this step into the past could shoot many ahead.
And to your post before ; yes condy crystals for you .

Hi, I've ordered the PP. Er, had some questions - I've sent you a PM. I confess I've looked at some links but that's about it :( It will be years before I can probably really comment on it but always very keen to learn more :)

Back
Top Bottom