Fish that eat snails.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stephens0813

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering if there are any fish that eat snails and what kind of snail would it be? I have a 10 gallon and thought that I could bred the snails in if thats good for them. I'm getting a 55 gallon soon that I could put the new fish in.

Thanks in advance.

Any others? I read online that the clowns need between 60 to 100 gallon minimum. Do I don't think a school of 4 would do good in a 55.

Puffer fish get to 6 inches, require a brackish tank and eat snails like there is no tomorrow.

Are you having a snail problem, or do you just want to breed the snails to feed the fish?
The problem with the brackish tank is that a lot of snails don't do well with salt, and that would be kind of pointless. Just my opinion though! ;)

dwarf puffers eat snails also. My Jack dempseys and EBJD also love eating snails.

Pond (bladder) snails and ramshorns breed like there's no tomorrow. Pond snails stay small so they are better for smaller fish, ramshorns can get up to about nickel size.

No I don't have a snail problem I just wanted to breed them to feed fish. I understand that they are fresher but would it really matter since I'm just going to be dropping them in there to be the puffers food?

No it doesn't matter at all. What puffer are you getting?

If you want your 55 gal to be a puffer tank, that will be fine. If you want a community, you'll most likely want to skip the puffers. Most puffers are kept alone because of their aggresive nature ;)

Dojo loaches are known to eat snails, but probably not until adult size or close to it. My friend has one that's a baby and doesn't eat any snails.

O have some Pictus catfish that cleared out a snail tank for me. It wasn't my intention but an added bonus. Also, my daughters tank has crayfish and they leave snail shells all over the tank

I like the green spotted one. Question is how many could I have in a 55. I would figure 9 would be ok using the one gallon per inch rule cause at 6 inches 9 of them would need 54 gallons. Am I right?

Wronggggg. They need 10-15 for the first puffer. Then 10g for every puffer after. So for 55g you could do 5. In my opinion. And that's pretty far out there. Most ppl would say less

Also the inch per gallon rule has been long dead my friend. It only works with really small fish.

No problem. I'm so sad I'm getting rid of my puffer :(

I have an African Knife Fish. I have never actually given him snails, but I have read that he likes them.

Back
Top Bottom