Fish that have never been bred in captivity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
There are probably countless species of FW aquarium fish which have either never been bred, or no documentation exists of their spawning. Every fish which is now commonly (or uncommonly), bred in captivity had to have a first time.

Say you wanted to breed a species which fits the subject. How would you go about starting the process?

Heh, visit thier natural habitat and live underwater for a few years! Honestly, the best way to go about it is to study up on thier natural environment and try to replicate it! just my 2 cents . . .

That's absolutely right Ernie. Unfortunately, most of the information is given in terms that don't give alot of detail. Is there a wet dry season? Do water params change with abundant rainfall in nature? Does the the time of day or sunlight play a role?

Many fish need a stimulus to trigger spawning. Given a little time and alot of experimentation, I believe most fish (excluding the ones that need thousands of gallons), can be induced to spawn in captivity.

It would be interesting if some of the members here who have the time and room, selected a single species to collectively spawn.

I was having enough problems with German Blue Rams (at least getting the fry to survive) without having to worry about a species that has never been documented. :lol: I do think that would be an excellent thing to have a group of people trying simultaniously and sharing their results. I'd be up for it if I had an empty tank... but no space or money to get another. *sigh* Just gotta wait until I can have an entire room dedicated. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom