fish vitamins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennymit21

Aquarium Advice Freak
what kind of vitamins should i use to supplement for my oscar? he has been suffering from HITH and i was told that greater amounts of certain vtamins in their diet helps out.......anyone got any suggestion/recommendations?

What are you feeding oscar at the moment? A varied diet consisting of frozen, live and pellet/dry foods should give the fish all they need.
HITH is also associated with water quality. Make sure all uneaten food is removed and regular water changes made.

Yep. I agree Springcheeks. HITH is quite common in discus and is definitely water quality related. The very best thing you can do to stem this is increase your water changes and keep your filters clean.

currently i am doing a 20-30% water change every 3 days. I feed him cichlid sticks, cichlid flakes, beefheart, freezedried krill, cichlid gold pellets, freezedried bloodworms, and sometimes frozen silversides (thawed first).

I have increased the temperature in the tank, added salt (1tbs/5gal), along with water changes and i do not see him getting much better. I even tried three days of Metronidazole to no avail....................Any more ideas guys?

20% isn't much and every third day isn't often enough. Clean the filters thoroughly and try 40-50% for 1 week. You've got nothing to lose but the labor. JMO

will do thank you! i was just worried about taking too much beneficial bacteria out of the tank all at once....there is no carbon in the filter right now since i read somewhere that carbon might also be a factor in HITH. I was trying to make sure every possible cause was removed. 5 gallon buckets here i come!!!!!!!!!!

Very few of the bacteria are free-floating. Most of them are in your filter, and many more are in the gravel or on other surfaces Big water changes are OK as long as water parameters (hardness, pH, temperature) match up between the old and new water.

Many years ago, my oscars had HITH due to bad water and parasite-laden feeder goldfish. I was a poor aquarist, and let them get too far gone before I intervened. Your fish are lucky that you are more conscientious than I was.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom