Fish waste - is it helpful for planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fidgetromeo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does the fish waste and general detritus do anything to help fertilize plants if left to sink into the gravel where my plants are?

Yes, it does. Fish waste is generally broken down into nitrogenous waste that eventually ends up as NO3, which is readily usable for your plants to meet nitrogen requirements.

Natural Fertilizer

Does the fish waste and general detritus do anything to help fertilize plants if left to sink into the gravel where my plants are?

Hello Fidge...

The detritus and mulm, the organic material from decayed fish waste and dead plant material is the best natural fertilizer. Everything eventually dissolves in the tank water and feeds the plants and some of the bottom feeders. This is why you should never, ever, vacuum a planted tank. If you do, you remove the nutrients.

B

Does that mean not to vacuum the entire tank, or just the planted areas? And does some of the waste get used by the plant roots before it can dissolve into the water?

Does that mean not to vacuum the entire tank, or just the planted areas? And does some of the waste get used by the plant roots before it can dissolve into the water?

If you have unplanted areas I would vacuum them. I usually vacuum all over my tank except right next too my plants. I know the roots go further, but I don't have enough plants to breakdown that much waist.

Vacuuming Planted Tanks

Hello again Fidge...

I haven't vacuumed my planted tanks in a long time. The old material eventually dissolves in the tank water. I just remove half the tank water every week, so there's never a problem with the water chemistry, it's always stable for the fish and plants.

B

Hello Fidge...

The detritus and mulm, the organic material from decayed fish waste and dead plant material is the best natural fertilizer. Everything eventually dissolves in the tank water and feeds the plants and some of the bottom feeders. This is why you should never, ever, vacuum a planted tank. If you do, you remove the nutrients.

B

I'm glad you guys are talking about this. I just vacuumed tonight and did a 40% water change. I have a few plants, 8 all together in a 55 gal tank. I was wondering the same stuff so I'm glad to know about this. I want to put some dwarf hairgrass down but my green severum keeps pulling them up. Right now I've got bits and pieces floating all over the tank. Maybe I shold put down a mat of it instead of the plugs? Just thinking.

Back
Top Bottom