Fish with a fungus questions on filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sum22

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey I have a question perhaps someone can help me with. I went to the LFS and took one of my zebra danios with me. I was told that he had a fungus. I was sent home with some fish meds to apply to the tank.

As I was reading the instructions it said to remove the carbon and charcoal filter while you are using this medication. I have a power filter. If I take the filter cartridge out, what is supposed to catch all the gunk while it is out, i.e., uneaten food, algae etc.

Anyone have any suggestion on what I can do so the tank doesnt get totally nasty.

Thanks for the help

Buy some filter floss at the LFS or some quilt batting from Wal Mart and stuff it in the filter for mechanical filtration. If you leave the carbon in the filter, it will remove the medication before it can work. You could slit the filter cartridge and shake the carbon out also.

That is great advice loganj. I make my own filters as well and only use carbon to polish it or rid it of smell.

Hey,
I also make my own filters. The ones that are sold ready-to-go are a lot more expensive on the long run. When I have a situation when I have to use medication, I usually take the whole filter out. Medications for common problems work pretty fast (in 24 -48 hours). I never had problems when the filter ran "empty" for a couple of days. However, :oops: it is a great idea to put the filter back withouth the carbon in it for mech. filtration. I'll also do so next time - hopefully I won't need to use medications for a loooong time! :D

Right on I will keep that in mind, The LFS guy said about 4-5 days until the fungus goes away.

I think she got hurt trying to pull a finding nemo stunt by jumping in the filter a couple times about a week ago. When I noticed it had stuff growing on it I took it in to have someone look at. One day of meds and she looks better already.

Thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom