Fish with ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicholass18

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a fantail that i just found out has ich when i woke up this morning. I had bought a ryukin about four weeks ago, but kept it in a quarantine for three weeks and found nothing wrong with it. I have also just bought a 20 gallon tank for the two of them about 2 weeks and just recently moved them in there. I have started the salt treatment and put in roughly 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of salt in per 5 gallons. The heater is set to 88 degrees and I have bought but not yet put in some Kordon Rid-Ich plus as a backup. I am wondering if there is anything else I can do at this moment. I plan to do 25% daily water changes as well. Also, the dorsal fins on the fantail are starting to thin out and become torn. Is this another sign of ich or has the parasite opened up opportunities for fin rot and the likes to come in?

The warmer water is not good for the goldfish. If it was my tank, I would lower the temp back down slowly and use the Ich-Attack/Rid-Ich.
Does the fish look like it's sprinkled with salt?

OK i have lowered it down some since last night. The white spots are fewer in number today than they were yesterday, so i'm pretty sure the parasites are moving to the gravel. Would it be wise to do a gravel vacuum soon? i am about to perform a 25% water change in a few minutes.

I am incredibly sad to say that the fantail has died :( i will still keep diligent though!! Is it possible that it isn't ich? i've never heard of ich killing a fish with symptoms for only two days

Sounds like the fish had ich. I had a new fish come down with the spots and then like 2 days later another fish had the spots, but the 2nd fish ended up with an inflamed gill which eventually killed it - could have been a secondary infection and the ich lowered it's resistance or something. The 1st fish died in a little less than a week. It's always sad to lose a fish. I had the same issue with the temp in my tank because I have danios which prefer colder water so I ended using meds.

It really saddens me because I had that fish for almost 2 years without a problem and all of the sudden it's gone :( I grew very attached to it over that length of time, and it held a lot of sentimental value for me too :/ This new fish is still worth fighting for though!!

Back
Top Bottom