Fish Wont Grow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dalalhar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I started my tank in November of 2009. Since I got it I have had two red platy's and acquired some more fish like two pink kissing gourami, catfish, and a pleco.

None of these fish seem to grow. In fact, I think the catfish became smaller.

I feed them with fish flakes every other day. I also put in an algae tablet.

Am I not feeding them enough? Or, should I try feeding other things like worms and brine shrimp?

Thanks.

The only fish that are ok for that size aquarium is the platys and cories. Everything else will get way too big.

I think the only fish too big for a 29gal tank there is the pleco. He WILL grow large. The two kissing gouramis are fine, as they usually don't grow over 6" in aquariums. And the small cory, sounds like a panda cory that won't get over an inch.

Try feeding them some tetramin pro flakes and blood worms/tubifex worms for a few months.

That's what I feed most of my fish with the addition of veggie wafers, and they all have grown to the max.

Not saying your wrong as you may have more experience with them than me, but I read from multiple sources that Kissing Gouramis can grow up to 12" as adults.

Kissing Gouramis grow exceptionally slowly and live long lives. The only ones I've heard of over at those sizes are 15+ years old...They are not typical of rapid size growth of other fish such as oscars and dempsys. The 29 is still pushing the limit IMO, but may be OK for time being. The pleco however will outgrow the tank soon. I've had my common since around sept of 09 and he is well over 8 inches and fat as heck...

The first video is of a giant gourami, not a kisser. Thats like showing a video of a red tail cat and telling him thats what his cory will be lol...

lol, I'm not a gourami guy :p I just looked it up on google, and it was a gourami and it was big.

Google has failed us...

Thanks everyone for your input.

I think I was more concerned with the platys I have. I have seen some at the store that are a little bit bigger. Same with the gourami. I just wanted to make sure the fish were healthy and the tank environment was healthy overall.

I realize the pleco will out grow my tank. But I didn't have a lot of luck with other types of fish like this...Chinese algae eaters. There is a pet store here locally that welcomes donations, so I am sure I would go give it to them once I reach that point.

They do have dwarf plecos that only get around 2 to 3 inches. Pitbull Plecos are an example. Bristle Nose are another kind that comes to mind. Your fish won't be healthy if they are in a tank too small! :) IMO you should swap out Mr. Pleco for one like the kinds mentioned above.

I'm glad you are concerned for your fish's health though. Also, I think all fish grow to different sizes. They can get up to so many inches but not all neccessarily will (someone correct me please if this is wrong)

Slightly off topic, but I will be moving to Issaquah next month, and I was wondering what fish store you prefer, dalalhar? Thanks! :)

Hey I heard of a great store in Issaquah, but I havent been yet. They person I bought my tank from said she would go there too. It's called Sierra Fish & Pets

Also if you dont mind a short drive to Kirkland there is Denny's Pet World. They had a good selection, but I thought it was more expensive than Petco and such (not even sure if Petco is good to get stuff from).

Also there is one in Northgate called the Fish Store...havent been there yet either.

Back
Top Bottom