Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would they eat goldfish ?? Or frogs ?? Cause i just bought a new aquariumnof somebody and they gave me the fushes with it i didnt know they were gonna give me more fish

Precious_Scarface said:
Would they eat goldfish ?? Or frogs ?? Cause i just bought a new aquariumnof somebody and they gave me the fushes with it i didnt know they were gonna give me more fish

I'm not too hip on SA Cichlids but I think that they would... Sorry that's probably not the answer you were looking for. I keep African Cichlids and they will most definitely eat any fish they can fit in their mouths.

Well my goldfishes are bigger or atleast the same size so they should be okay i think

Precious_Scarface said:
Well my goldfishes are bigger or atleast the same size so they should be okay i think

Cool :) these guys get big! Approximately 10 inches... Hope your ready for it!

Yeah the biggest one is about 4-5 inches but my goldfishes ranges from 2 & 6 inches i think im gonnabhave to put the smaller one appart until theyre big enough goldfishes get bigger than cichlid

Precious_Scarface said:
Yeah the biggest one is about 4-5 inches but my goldfishes ranges from 2 & 6 inches i think im gonnabhave to put the smaller one appart until theyre big enough goldfishes get bigger than cichlid

I was referring more to tank size. Good luck tho!!

Precious_Scarface said:
Ok how big do youneed for 5 of em

I don't think it's appropriate to have 5 in one tank, once they pair off I believe they will kill the others. I also think that it is recommended to have 55 gallons for one and 75g for a pair.

Last edited:
Also, the Jack Dempseys are tropical fish, and goldfish are not. They shouldn't be mixed.

Well goldfishes can stand any temperature of water so doesnt matter my tank has no heater and the temp always stays at 78-80

Precious_Scarface said:
Well goldfishes can stand any temperature of water so doesnt matter my tank has no heater and the temp always stays at 78-80

Another thing to consider, how many goldfish do you have and what size tank is this? Goldfish produce immense amounts of ammonia which is intensified with the water being warm. This could kill the JDs.
Also JDs are mean as all get out, and.goldfish are nice and playful. Your gold fish could die from the torment alone...
I've never heard of anyone keeping gold fish with cichlids.

Yeah i know bout the ammonia i already do lots of water changes but its kinda not nescesary since my tank is cycled but i do it anyways well im gonna think about it i might just sell them

Precious_Scarface said:
Yeah i know bout the ammonia i already do lots of water changes but its kinda not nescesary since my tank is cycled but i do it anyways well im gonna think about it i might just sell them

How big is your tank though and how many fish in it?
Honestly I'd probably sell em, I don't think dempseys mixed with goldfish would end well.

Precious_Scarface said:

Water changes are still essential even though your tank is cycled.

paytertot said:
How big is the tank you bought? Mixing goldfish and dempseys is not a good idea in the first place really...

Also, what kind of goldfish are they? Common or fancy? I really doubt fancy goldfish would last long at all with Dempseys.

Back
Top Bottom