Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Odyssey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've ordered a few things from Aquabid before. I view it just like eBay... I know what I want going in, or I browse the sales and if something catches my eye, I'll do some independent research. Never had much interaction with the sellers before the sale.

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

Hoping all goes well with the plant purchase and you get what you want. I'm sure it's like anything else: there's good and there's bad.
You should comment on your experience in the appropriate section for future buyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm going to end up ordering from aquariumplants.com, plus I'll get some Anubias from a TPT seller.

Which Crypt do you guys think I should buy? Beckettii petchii or pontederiifolia?

Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Low-Light Tank

Sorry, my crypt experience is only with wendtii, undulata, and parva.
Hopefully others can chime in...

I had petchii and it did alright. Nice brown color. When replanting i snipped off too many leaves that had some algae and it melted away completely but i hope it might bounce back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Change of plans. I took a look at Peabody's Paradise, and I liked their selection. I trust jetajockey, so I'll get my mass plant order from him. I'll look for other plants on AA's classified section, or TPT's classified section, when the time comes.

Change of plans. I took a look at Peabody's Paradise, and I liked their selection. I trust jetajockey, so I'll get my mass plant order from him. I'll look for other plants on AA's classified section, or TPT's classified section, when the time comes.

Peabody's! I forgot about that one. I ordered some crypts and dwarf sag form there a few years back.

Peabody's! I forgot about that one. I ordered some crypts and dwarf sag form there a few years back.

Yes! I'm going to get some Crypt lutea, Crypt balansae, some Dwarf Four Leaf Clover, and possibly some others from him. I'll get some Anubias and 2 Echinodorus from another vendor, who I believe is new (plantdrafts.com). A mass plant order is in the works for next week! I just need to sort some things out with planning out the rest of the background.

Okay, I might be getting a little bit ahead of myself, but I think the green Buce Brownie is going to be just fine. I can see 4 tiny leaflets coming off of the plant. Another leaf is growing on one Buce Catherinae plants, making two new leaves in the past week. Now I'll just wait patiently on the other ones. You'd think they'd all be dead by now if they weren't going to survive--they've been in the tank for a month. Also, I spotted the first new leaf from the Marsilea minuta. This tank will slowly but surely come together. Pics to come this weekend.

Update:

As I mentioned before, the Buces appear to be on the upswing. I moved the driftwood to a better position, and I'll be adding more plants in coming weeks.

Notice the three small leaves on the first BuceA new Java Fern leaf, along with some old growth from the supplierFTS

Edit: Also, I have four choices of what type of sword I can put in the background to the right of the branchy driftwood: Red Rubin, Oriental, Red Melon, or Kleinar Bar. Any thoughts?

I have always liked Red Rubin.

I'll most likely be picking between the Red Rubin and Red Melon. Whichever one would contrast the Red Flame better is going to be the one that I'll get.

Hard to say... I'd give it more time and see what develops.

The odd thing is that another flower-like stem is coming up from the other Buce Brownie Ghost plant. I'll be interested to see what comes from this.

It may well be. Some of my buces flower after growing every new leaf

It may well be. Some of my buces flower after growing every new leaf

That's cool. This would be my first plant to flower if it holds up. By the way, what do you think of Anubias nana 'gold'? Does it contrast regular Anubias nana?

The flower once opened will only last a few days before dying. I cut them off early. Wasted energy

Well with a regular anubias new growth is light green and slowly seems to darken. The anubias gold stats that light green colour. Its ok for contrast i suppose

The flower once opened will only last a few days before dying. I cut them off early. Wasted energy

Well with a regular anubias new growth is light green and slowly seems to darken. The anubias gold stats that light green colour. Its ok for contrast i suppose

I might skip out on the golden Anubias, and get an Anubias coffeefolia instead. That would create room for some Buce biblis.

I'm going with the Red Rubin Sword. I think it will offer the best contrast. I'm trying to get some Echinodorus 'Vesuvius'. I'm waiting on an answer back from the seller. If I can get that plant, it will go next to the Crypt wendtii 'bronze', or in front of the Red Flame Sword. I'm also going to be adding Dwarf Hairgrass to the foreground, instead of getting Giant Hairgrass for the background. Besides Crypt spiralis or balansae, one more type of Cryptocoryne will be added. I can't get my hands on any rare type, so I'll probably go with an easy to find Crypt--pontederiifolia, beckettii 'petchii', etc. If I can snag some wendtii 'green gecko' from some place, I will. TPT has been sparse in their plant listings.

Back
Top Bottom