Fishless cycle - a walk in the park...!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dadzpants

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I was told by all local aquarium shops to just add tap safe then stick some tetras in and do plenty of water changes.

Did my own research on this and other forums and liked the sound of fish-less cycling but listening to problems other people have had made it sound a bit daunting. Didn't put me off though...

I think after 2 weeks that I'm about there but just want to run it past you guys for a sanity check.

January 30th - added water, tap safe, a used filter sponge from a mates tank and dosed with pure ammonia to 4ppm. Ph 7.5

Feb 1st - amm 4ppm - nitrite 0 - nitrate less than 5ppm

Feb 3rd - amm 2.4ppm

Feb 6th - amm 0.5ppm - nitrite 3ppm - nitrate 110ppm - ph 7.5 - dosed amm back to 4ppm

Feb 8th - amm 0.1ppm - nitrite 3.3ppm - nitrate 110ppm - ph 7.5 - dosed amm back to 4ppm

Feb 9th - amm 0.5ppm - dosed amm back to 4ppm

Feb 11th - amm 0.3ppm - nitrite 3.3ppm - nitrate 110ppm - ph 7.5 - dosed amm back to 4ppm

FEB 13th - amm 0.2ppm - nitrite 0pp - nitrate 50ppm - ph 7.5 - dosed amm back to 4ppm and hope to see both amm and nitrites gone this it,e tomorrow.

Does this all look like should be expected?

I would redo the test for today. It's odd that your nitrates were cut in half in a day, even if you have live plants. Did you do a large water change? If all those numbers are correct it does look like you are very close. Did you use some seeded media to start up?

Maybe dose up again for a couple more days to make sure ammonia and nitrites get processed down to zero in 24hrs.

Edit: oops, I see you did use seeded media. Forget that question then. :)

yep! looks very similar to mine. the seeded filter media makes a huge difference! just keep dosing back to 4ppm for 2-3 days in a row when you get to zero. you should be able to dose to 4.0ppm and have it all gone within 24hrs. if you can do this for 2-3 days in a row then you are done.

Dadzpants said:
Hi,

I was told by all local aquarium shops to just add tap safe then stick some tetras in and do plenty of water changes.

Did my own research on this and other forums and liked the sound of fish-less cycling but listening to problems other people have had made it sound a bit daunting. Didn't put me off though...

I think after 2 weeks that I'm about there but just want to run it past you guys for a sanity check.

January 30th - added water, tap safe, a used filter sponge from a mates tank and dosed with pure ammonia to 4ppm. Ph 7.5

Feb 1st - amm 4ppm - nitrite 0 - nitrate less than 5ppm

Feb 3rd - amm 2.4ppm

Feb 6th - amm 0.5ppm - nitrite 3ppm - nitrate 110ppm - ph 7.5 - dosed amm back to 4ppm

Feb 8th - amm 0.1ppm - nitrite 3.3ppm - nitrate 110ppm - ph 7.5 - dosed amm back to 4ppm

Feb 9th - amm 0.5ppm - dosed amm back to 4ppm

Feb 11th - amm 0.3ppm - nitrite 3.3ppm - nitrate 110ppm - ph 7.5 - dosed amm back to 4ppm

FEB 13th - amm 0.2ppm - nitrite 0pp - nitrate 50ppm - ph 7.5 - dosed amm back to 4ppm and hope to see both amm and nitrites gone this it,e tomorrow.

Does this all look like should be expected?

Read this!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Thanks guys. The links are useful, in fact I've been using the guide in the second link as my cycle bible since I started. In answer to your questions;

No live plants.
Not done a water change yet.
Added dechlorinator when originally filled tank.

I forgot to say that I added a pinch of food the day before my nitrates halved.

Dadzpants said:
Thanks guys. The links are useful, in fact I've been using the guide in the second link as my cycle bible since I started. In answer to your questions;

No live plants.

Sounds like u did ur homework.

Dadzpants said:

No live plants.

Have u used seeded media?

how is it going? My tank just got double zeros!!! hope you are right behind me!

Read lots and lots of people's stories and then stumbled on the nearly complete guide on this site and it pretty much covers all the problems I've seen other people have had. Great guide. Big thumb..

Just tested after 24 hours of dosing amm back to 4ppm and both amm and nitrite are around 0.2ppm so not quite there but pretty **** close I hope. Pleased to hear you've got there Heather, fingers crossed I might be able to start stocking at the weekend.

Yeah.... Double 0's after 24 hours.
Will double check again tomorrow and if ok will do a big water change and turn the heater down ready for fish on Saturday.

Yeah.... Double 0's after 24 hours.
Will double check again tomorrow and if ok will do a big water change and turn the heater down ready for fish on Saturday.

sounds great! I told you it would be soon! I got three readings of "0" and I am now in the process of the "big water change" ... second time around. first time I didn't think the nitrates were low enough

May sound a bit sad but I'm well chuffed at getting to this point.
When you gonna get some fish? I got no idea what I'm gonna go for yet, think I'll just poke around the local shops and take some advice from them.

Perhaps just make a list of the fish you like & want
& we will help you with whatever q's you may have :)

Here goes then. Purely from a "like the look of" approach

Zebra Danio
Panda Cory
Pakistan Loach
Zebra Danio
Tiger Barb
Kissing Gourami
Paradise Fish
Pearl Gourami
Black Widow Tetra
Serape/Blood Tetra
Platy