Fishless cycle help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaplantfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to do fish less cycle, but for ammonia what would you recommend?

I was gonna go with a medium size fresh shrimp for ammonia

New setup:

16 gal fresh water guppy tank
Eheim 2213 canister filter
Eheim heater
Prime
Bactria additives (seachem)

During the cycle I know I don't do the water change but when do I change the water? Just before I get a a fish on the same day?

By the way it's going to be a guppy tank

Already established media added to your filter would be about the best bet.
I used the add fish food(flakes) to the tank to create ammo for a 15 gal took about 3 weeks or so. Added 2 guppies and a Molly and kept an eye on the water parameters changing water when needed...was about 2 or 3 times a week. then after about another week or two everything was fully cycled.
I am going to assume smaller tank smaller volume of water not as much BB was needed to grow to cycle the tank more water more BB you will need to cycle all the toxins out.
Not a clue on that so don't take me fully at my word....maybe i just got lucky.
So adding a piece of shrimp is possible....just watch the water parameters...Do you have a liquid test kit? they are very handy and very accurate.

And i would say don't rush yourself....I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in sooner or later

In my opinion the easiest way to cycle is with liquid ammonia. Its pure and and measured out exactly. You put in 2 drops per gallon to 4 ppm. Here's a link Supplies

I used the add fish food(flakes) to the tank to create ammo for a 15 gal took about 3 weeks or so. Added 2 guppies and a Molly and kept an eye on the water parameters changing water when needed...was about 2 or 3 times a week. then after about another week or two everything was fully cycled.
I am going to assume smaller tank smaller volume of water not as much BB was needed to grow to cycle the tank more water more BB you will need to cycle all the toxins out.
So adding a piece of shrimp is possible....just watch the water parameters...Do you have a liquid test kit? they are very handy and very accurate.

And i would say don't rush yourself....I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in sooner or later

U know With the budget I went with a smaller tank and a canister filter rather than a bigger tank, I just want happy fish then unhappy fish on a big tank with labor on the filter.

I do have testing strips but if you think the liquid tester will make a difference in reading then I'll go get one.

I wanted to use live plants also that are very east to keep with t8 bulb but do you think it's necessary to get a CO2?, I don't care about the froth of the plants but more like keeping live plants.

Thanks!!

U know With the budget I went with a smaller tank and a canister filter rather than a bigger tank, I just want happy fish then unhappy fish on a big tank with labor on the filter.

I do have testing strips but if you think the liquid tester will make a difference in reading then I'll go get one.

I wanted to use live plants also that are very east to keep with t8 bulb but do you think it's necessary to get a CO2?, I don't care about the froth of the plants but more like keeping live plants.

Thanks!!

(Froth)***growth****

iPhone spell check lol

Hey cloud I just noticed you got plants on your 15gal, I want exactly the way you planted and are you using any CO2? For the plants?

Hey cloud I just noticed you got plants on your 15gal, I want exactly the way you planted and are you using any CO2? For the plants?

I use API liquid fert...i it says you can use it once a week...which i did for awhile but went to maybe once a month cuz the plants got massive...the pics i uploaded are about a month or so old.....some plants need CO2 others just need good water and a decent light i just have a T8 and it's doing wonders....you can search for plants on Google for low light to medium light ...the plants in that tank i got all at Petsmart....just make suue you clean them very very well....either using a salt in a small dish not enough to kill them, or small dose of bleach i forget how much....i had gotten Damsel fly larva from petsmart plants in my tank.

API leaf zone is what i use for the ferts

But like stated you can use ammonia i've never tried this route...just make sure its pure ammonia, not the clear ammonia....should only be ammonium hydroxide for the ingredient i believe. If you shake up the bottle a bit and it foams and stays foamy no good....if it foams/bubbles and dissipates quickly and is called pure ammonia and has only ammonium hydroxide it should be the right stuff.

Last edited:

Oh i used to use the stips then everyone on here recommended the Master test kit by API it does seem to be way more accurate. my stips told me i always had high ammo and nitrite...but when i got my water tested i didn't, and when i bought my liquid test kit it didn't show any either. it's a bit spendy like $33....on amazon its around $20 or so.....i felt it was worth it good for about 800+ tests...where as you get like 25 stips for $6.
The strips are more like guidelines...to be taken with a grain of salt

I use API liquid fert...i it says you can use it once a week...which i did for awhile but went to maybe once a month cuz the plants got massive...the pics i uploaded are about a month or so old.....some plants need CO2 others just need good water and a decent light i just have a T8 and it's doing wonders....you can search for plants on Google for low light to medium light ...the plants in that tank i got all at Petsmart....just make suue you clean them very very well....either using a salt in a small dish not enough to kill them, or small dose of bleach i forget how much....i had gotten Damsel fly larva from petsmart plants in my tank.

API leaf zone is what i use for the ferts

But like stated you can use ammonia i've never tried this route...just make sure its pure ammonia, not the clear ammonia....should only be ammonium hydroxide for the ingredient i believe. If you shake up the bottle a bit and it foams and stays foamy no good....if it foams/bubbles and dissipates quickly and is called pure ammonia and has only ammonium hydroxide it should be the right stuff.

Ok kool thanks a lot !

Oh i used to use the stips then everyone on here recommended the Master test kit by API it does seem to be way more accurate. my stips told me i always had high ammo and nitrite...but when i got my water tested i didn't, and when i bought my liquid test kit it didn't show any either. it's a bit spendy like $33....on amazon its around $20 or so.....i felt it was worth it good for about 800+ tests...where as you get like 25 stips for $6.
The strips are more like guidelines...to be taken with a grain of salt

Ya I'm gonna order one from online, in Toronto the store I go to its kinda pricy

Ok I started my cycle today, got my finger crossed and went with liquid ammonia
Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom