Fishless cycle odd growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dfb33b

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so I'm into week three of my fishless cycle and I have had the appearance of some white/off-white colored algae (for lack really knowing what it is) appear on some of my driftwood, rocks, and plants.

I did just add done co2 booster and column fertilizer for the plants I have on the tank, and within a day of adding those this stuff appeared.

I have attached a picture to show what I'm talking about. My question is, should I be worried, or is this just a normal algae growth?1010160837_HDR.jpg

If your driftwood etc is new this is normal, most new driftwood etc will grow a whitish type hair algae that will fade slowly or get eaten over a few weeks :) nothing to worry about :)

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

put some fish in.
if you have plants then you'll take forever to cycle due to the Fact that the plants will consume alot of your ammonia & nitrites and eventualy some of your nitrates.
fishless cycle was intended for tanks without plants not with.
start with 10-15% and monitor your way along,you are using up testing resources anyways.

put some fish in.
if you have plants then you'll take forever to cycle due to the Fact that the plants will consume alot of your ammonia & nitrites and eventualy some of your nitrates.
fishless cycle was intended for tanks without plants not with.
start with 10-15% and monitor your way along,you are using up testing resources anyways.

I've had plants in my tank since starting my cycle and have had no trouble with a fishless cycle. Unless your tank is very heavily planted I can't imagine it clearing out an infinite amount of ammonia. Even if it clears some, I would imagine that this is easily curable by simply adding more ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom