Fishless Cycle Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manic Fury

Aquarium Advice Activist
So this is yet another Fishless Cycle question but I couldn't seem to find the answer I was looking for throughout the threads.

I have been doing a fishless cycle for 11 days now. Dosed my 10 gallon tank to 4 ppm with pure ammonia and have been checking the levels every day.

Here's what they have been at from Day to Day:

Day 1
Ammonia-4ppm
Nitrite-0 ppm
Nitrate-0 ppm

Same reading for the next 9 Days...

Day 10
Ammonia-4 ppm
Nitrite- .50 ppm
Nitrate- Forgot to check

Day 11
Ammonia-4 ppm
Nitrite-3 ppm
Nitrate-2 ppm

I'm on Day 11 now and as you can see Nitrite and Nitrate have both started showing. But my question is: Why hasn't my Ammonia gone down at all?

I double checked for ammonia just in case I messed up somewhere, but still the same 4 ppm.

Anyone know if this is normal or if there is something that I am doing potentially wrong?

I really wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as the nitrates are going up then you are in a good position. What test kit are you using?

I saw a nitrate "spike" in my fishless cycle before my ammo started going down. It stayed about 20-30 ppm and disappeared as nitrites showed up. Then, nitrates stayed at zero until the end of the nitrite phase. So, I'd say what you're seeing, while perhaps not common, isn't abnormal.

I saw a nitrate "spike" in my fishless cycle before my ammo started going down. It stayed about 20-30 ppm and disappeared as nitrites showed up. Then, nitrates stayed at zero until the end of the nitrite phase. So, I'd say what you're seeing, while perhaps not common, isn't abnormal.

I think you might be switching "nitrite" and "nitrate" :)

Cycle goes ammonia > nitrite > nitrate.

I think you might be switching "nitrite" and "nitrate" :)

Cycle goes ammonia > nitrite > nitrate.

Nope, that's my point...in my case, the nitrates showed up first briefly, then disappeared. That happened right before nitrites showed up. As the nitrite phase ended, nitrates showed back up as they are supposed to.

Gotcha. Seems really strange but I guess it does happen sometimes.

I was worried that my tank had stalled or something. I'll keep checking on it and if it's still doing that, then I'll repost on here.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom