Fishless cycle with Ammonia Chloride - problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CMOS

Aquarium Advice Regular
Howdy All,

I am doing the fishless cycle method using Dr. Tims Ammonia Chloride (AC). I started dosing with the AC this past Tuesday and despite adding triple the recommended dose, I can't get my ammonia level above about 1PPM. I have been adding more AC each day since Tuesday (3-5) and yet I still have this low level of ammonia. I am using only a purely biological filter (in sump) with Poret Foam, so there are no chemical absorbents present.

Nitrites and Nitrates have been 0.0 each day, and still are at 0.0.

Last night I borrowed a filter cartridge from my brother's established tank and placed that, along with a handful of his gravel, in my tank to seed the bacteria colony. The tank's temperature is set to 84F to accelerate the cycling process.

So - what's the scoop with me only being able to reach 1PPM of ammonia with the heavy AC dosing?

Do I need to do anything different?

Thoughts?

CMOS

Looking around online, it seems that the dosing instructions may be wrong.

Did that. Bottle instructions indicate "one drop per gallon to achieve 2PPM level". I'm at least triple that and only at 1 PPM.

CMOS

I have not personally used this product but have helped others that have. Same story- you really need to dose quite a bit to reach any appreciable ammonia level despite what the directions may say.

Back
Top Bottom