fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlackMagic

Aquarium Advice Freak
I did a fishless cycle on my 10 gallon after 2 week pass n into my 3rd week I test n it show

Ammo 4ppm
No2 2.0-5.0ppm
No3 5.0-10ppm

Am I close to being done or still have a long way RI go?

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? It's possible to have that much nitrate out of the faucet. A lot of people are disappointed when they find it's nitrates in the tap water and not from the cycle. I've also heard that the nitrites can cause the nitrate test to show a false positive.

The nitrites are encouraging. You may want to do a PWC to reduce the nitrite levels, then redose the ammonia. Excessive nitrite levels seem to be able to stall a cycle.

i test my tap and there no NO2,NO3, Ammo in it.

i think the reason y my NO3 went off like that is maybe because a took a sponge from my other tank and kinda squeeze it in there. i just got done testing it last night and it seem like both NO2 n Ammo is droping slowly.

my eyes r no good so its kinda hard telling the color plus the chart is no good, the color on the chart is like WTH

i dont know whats going on with the cycle.
monday i test and it show Ammo 5ppm
no2(blue) n no3(yellow) at normal. its like starting all over again after a long 4 weeks into this.

i got my Ammo from Family Dollar which didnt form when i shake it.
on that same day i re-dose the tank with 1tea spoon of Ammo. Heavnt test the tank yet.

I'm wondering if you didn't get accurate readings the first time.

Did you do a PWC and not use dechlorinator?

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? It's possible to have that much nitrate out of the faucet. A lot of people are disappointed when they find it's nitrates in the tap water and not from the cycle. I've also heard that the nitrites can cause the nitrate test to show a false positive.

The nitrites are encouraging. You may want to do a PWC to reduce the nitrite levels, then redose the ammonia. Excessive nitrite levels seem to be able to stall a cycle.

Yeah the API liquid nitrate test will show a false positive if there are nitrites. One of the reagents in the nitrate test converts nitrates to nitrites hence the false positive.

You have to use dechlorinator whenever you put water in the tank. The chlorine will kill your beneficial bacteria and cause the tank to cycle again, or in this case, stall the cycle.

No wonder, ill test later and see where the reading is at.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom