Fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone. I'm about to start a fish-less cycle with my 33g. I am currently doing a fish-in cycle with my 125g. I learnt about the fish-less cycle after I already bought the fishes. Anyway, my question is, where can I buy the ammonia to start the fish-less cycle? I read that you can use a shrimp(human food) to produce ammonia. How do you that? Thanks in advance.

Ace Hardware is where most of us have had luck finding pure Ammonia. I've also read about people finding it in WalMarts -- it's definitely a tricky substance to find! If you have any janitorial supply shops around, they would carry it as well. Just remember, no soaps or surfactants -- just pure ammonia, though it will be a low percentage (around 10%, I believe).

Good luck! :)

elysekuf said:
Ace Hardware is where most of us have had luck finding pure Ammonia. I've also read about people finding it in WalMarts -- it's definitely a tricky substance to find! If you have any janitorial supply shops around, they would carry it as well. Just remember, no soaps or surfactants -- just pure ammonia, though it will be a low percentage (around 10%, I believe).

Good luck! :)

Do I ask for pure ammonia?
Thank you! :)

Happy to! The day I went out looking for the **** stuff, it took me four or five stops. Happy to help someone avoid such unnecessary gas usage if I can :)

elysekuf said:
Happy to! The day I went out looking for the **** stuff, it took me four or five stops. Happy to help someone avoid such unnecessary gas usage if I can :)

The walmart here is only a couple blocks away from ace hardware. So, it's not going to be that far if ace doesn't have it. But I hope they do. Thanks again! :)

Hello elysekuf;

Just wanted to add so that you'll know, the version sold by ACE will say janitorial strength. I just bought a bottle yesterday as I'm currently cycling my 60 gallon tank. Also, a general rule of thumb is that if you shake the bottle and it foams it's the wrong type of ammonia.

Good luck with your tank!!

OhNeil1969 said:
Hello elysekuf;

Just wanted to add so that you'll know, the version sold by ACE will say janitorial strength. I just bought a bottle yesterday as I'm currently cycling my 60 gallon tank. Also, a general rule of thumb is that if you shake the bottle and it foams it's the wrong type of ammonia.

Good luck with your tank!!

Hi ohneil. I'll make sure to shake the bottle to check if I have the right one. Thanks for the info! :)

The cheap stuff from Walmart also works. It says "surfactants" on the bottle, but it doesn't foam when shaken. I've used it to cycle a couple tanks with no issues.

BigJim said:
The cheap stuff from Walmart also works. It says "surfactants" on the bottle, but it doesn't foam when shaken. I've used it to cycle a couple tanks with no issues.

Thanks BigJim :)

I think I put too much ammonia. It's darker than 8.0ppm. Should I do a PWC or just leave it alone and that it'll go down by itself? Thanks.

OhNeil1969 said:
I would definitely suggest a 30% water change to get you closer to 5 ppm.

Can it wait tomorrow morning or do i have to do it now?

I'd try at least a 50% PWC to get your ammonia below 4ppm. Any higher than that may stall your cycle. You definitely don't want to do that. Fishless cycling takes long enough as it is.

Back
Top Bottom