Fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyperson3010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi
Just added ammonia about 5 ppm using an online ammonia calculator

Should I get a test kit I have strips but have heard they are inaccurate saw a api one on amazon for £14.99
Is this ok?
How long should the cycle take?
And what fish should I add when it is finished and how many

Thanks

I would get an API master test kit. The cycle takes about 4 weeks to 7 allowing the BB to establish. How big is your tank?

I bought my test kit from amazon to. Only takes a few days to get it. U could order it while ur waiting on ur bb to grow. The strips are inaccurate

You have plenty of options to what kind of fish you can get. If you want a community tank you could get mabey corys, some type of tetra (I have cardinals but they are a bit weak), cherry barbs are not that agressive. If you want a cichlid tank cant help you not really familiar with them.

Tetra123 said:
You have plenty of options to what kind of fish you can get. If you want a community tank you could get mabey corys, some type of tetra (I have cardinals but they are a bit weak), cherry barbs are not that agressive. If you want a cichlid tank cant help you not really familiar with them.

Thanks but I have already decided what I want

Looks good; the Betta might not work though depending on all of the fish's temperaments so have a backup plan for the Betta if things don't work out. Good job on ordering the API kit. Don't dose ammonia any higher than 4 (5 max); too high and it can actually hinder the cycling process so just be careful on that, it's potent stuff. Good luck!

librarygirl said:
Looks good; the Betta might not work though depending on all of the fish's temperaments so have a backup plan for the Betta if things don't work out. Good job on ordering the API kit. Don't dose ammonia any higher than 4 (5 max); too high and it can actually hinder the cycling process so just be careful on that, it's potent stuff. Good luck!

I will and thanks

Back
Top Bottom