Fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the reply. I am new to aquariums and not really sure what it means to be cycled. Any good websites to learn about cycling a tank? Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply. I am new to aquariums and not really sure what it means to be cycled. Any good websites to learn about cycling a tank? Thanks again.

There's a sticky Or article about it somewhere on here...

Basically your cycled when you dose 4 ppm of ammonia and within 24 hours you get these readings

0 ammonia
0 nitrite
5+ nitrate

You can probably Google, "how to cycle an aquarium." You should find something more detailed than I can give you. Basically you put some flake food or whatever fish food you have to start the cycle. Run your filters and anything you when your fish are in will be running during this time. Get a test kit that measures ammonia nitrate and nitrite. You should have a lot of ammonia at first. You will want to do regular water changes. You will have to look up how often to change the water during the cycling. It will take a few weeks, but eventually the ammonia will start to drop, and eventually get to a reading of zero. There are products to buy that will speed up the bacteria growth.

Basically your tank will grow bacteria that feed on ammonia and convert it to nitrite, and others that convert nitrite into nitrate. You will need to still do water changes about once a week of about 15% to 25%. This will remove the built up nitrate so that it doesn't become toxic.

I hope this helped. Good luck.

Cycling a tank means to build bacteria in the tank and filter that can then brake down the ammonia and nitrite to a more harmless nitrate, this way the fish arnt harmed or put through unnecessary stress. This can vary on time but 1-2months.

Using a filter from another tank or filter media can cycling a tank extremely quickly. My very first tank I added establish media to my tank after 2 weeks and the 3rd week it was cycled.

Cycling a tank means to build bacteria in the tank and filter that can then brake down the ammonia and nitrite to a more harmless nitrate, this way the fish arnt harmed or put through unnecessary stress. This can vary on time but 1-2months.

Using a filter from another tank or filter media can cycling a tank extremely quickly. My very first tank I added establish media to my tank after 2 weeks and the 3rd week it was cycled.

Also put in dirty water from an established tank would likely help too.

I just added established 6 month old media today to 10 and 29 gal cuz I didn't know about fishless cycle so hoping it helps finish 10 gal been up 2-3 weeks and 29 gal been up for 1 1/2 months will test water tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom