Fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Livie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm probably going to be on here annoyingly asking a lot of questions about cycling before it's over with. Lol. I am trying to do a fishless cycle in a 20 gallon with pure ammonia and testing with the API freshwater kit. The process is kind of confusing, so I am just going to give as much info as possible and see what kind of suggestions you all can give. Thanks.

I started on 1/21
Nitrite didn't show until 2/9 at 5.0 then lowered.
Nitrate showed on 2/12 at 5.0 so today the 14th it reads:

Ammonia: 4.0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5.0
and it seems not to be moving.

I am trying to figure out where I am in the cycle and what to do next.

I'm not the expert in fishless cycling since I do fish in but can you provide more information, what type of filter and media are you using and water temperature?
I'm sure with all this info there are many here that can help you out.
Good luck!

I'm not the expert in fishless cycling since I do fish in but can you provide more information, what type of filter and media are you using and water temperature?
I'm sure with all this info there are many here that can help you out.
Good luck!

It's right at 69-70 degrees. Right now it's been at room temperature because I haven't bought a heater for it yet, and the filter is an Aquatech 10-20 power filter that hangs on the back.

just went through my first fishless cycling so by no means an expert

I dosed 4ppm ammonia everyother day and after about a week and a half I started to see Nitrites at about 5+ppm a few days later I started to see Nitrates at 5-10 ppm- I dosed with Ammonia everyother day at 4ppm and overnight it went to 0, Nitrites and Nitrates stayed at 5+ppm and 10-20ppm
Today my Ammonia was 0, Nitrites 0 and Nitrates 20ppm- so I will dose again tonight with 4ppm Ammonia and hopefully Ammonia and Nitrites will be 0 tomorrow morning- if so I will do a huge water change to lower Nitrates and then stock the tank- if the tank is cycled then it took ~ 3 weeks.

My ph is 7.6 and my temp is at 84- I do have 8 plants in the tank

You should raise the temp to 85 for starters. The BB can grow much better in that temperature. I had this exact setup when I was first cycling. Once you raise the temp, just keep checking. You look like you are close to cycled now. As long as you get 4 ppm ammonia to go to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite in 24 hours you are cycled. For now, just raise the temperature, and keep dosing once ammonia drops. If it still won't drop, then add a pinch of fish food or do a water change, to get some nutrients back in the water.

Can you please check your pH for me

Have you ever done any water changes? No wrong answer here, will just help with diagnosis.

I am guessing your pH has crashed and your cycle is stalled. Good news is recovery from this is VERY easy.

Back
Top Bottom