Fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aab102009

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been cycling my tank for a few weeks now. The last week I've been dosing the ammonia to about 4.0 then repeat when the ammonia goes down to 1.0. My nitrites are at 0 and my nitrates are at about 5. How can I get the nitrates to 0? Should I do a large water change at this point or just repeat the ammonia dosage ?

When you dose the ammonia to 4.0 ppm, how long does it take to get to a zero value. If it's 24 hrs you tank is considered to be cycled. Nitrates concentration will reduce it self with a 50 percent water change...getting it to zero....time and frequent water changes.

When you dose the ammonia to 4.0 ppm, how long does it take to get to a zero value. If it's 24 hrs you tank is considered to be cycled. Nitrates concentration will reduce it self with a 50 percent water change...getting it to zero....time and frequent water changes.

Thanks! I haven't let the ammonia go to zero because I thought I had to keep feeding the bacteria so it wouldn't die off, but it usually takes 48 hrs to go from 4.0 to 1.0. Ammonia. The nitrates and nitrites haven't changed in about a week

Nitrates at 5 ppm is pretty low considering all the ammonia that has been added. I was expecting 40-160. But the nitrite to nitrate conversion can take some time. And the nitrite spike is pretty short lived so it may be hard to detect.

Nitrates at 5 ppm is pretty low considering all the ammonia that has been added. I was expecting 40-160. But the nitrite to nitrate conversion can take some time. And the nitrite spike is pretty short lived so it may be hard to detect.

These cycles can be confusing lol. I'll wait a few more days and hopefully some nitrates will show up. Would a large water change help ?

Back
Top Bottom