Fishless cycling: almost complete and now this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NBCGLX

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Going on about 4 weeks since I set my 29-gallon tank up. Having had many tanks in the past, I knew that I was going with the fish-less cycling method again. I don't have any other tanks at the moment, so I started from scratch.

After about a week the ammonia levels started to come down some, and after a couple weeks, they were down to about .25 ppm in a 24-hour period. Last week they started dropping down to 0 ppm in a 24-hour period, and within the last 3-5 days they started dropping to 0 ppm overnight (i.e., dosing back to 4 ppm in the AM and the PM).

Yesterday I tested in the AM and, along with the expected ammonia reading of 0 ppm, nitrites were almost non-existent (finally...). I also noticed that my pH had fallen significantly (from about 7.4 to about 6.4). I've read on the ridiculously long fish-less cycling thread that since there aren't fish in the tank, using chemicals to help regulate pH at this point is OK. So, I headed to my LFS and picked up some pH regulator (for 7.0 pH) and followed the directions to dose my tank. I did clarify that it didn't have any other properties (e.g., water conditioner, etc.) because a couple of the brands I looked at either removed chlorine/chloramine/etc. or also detoxified ammonia. I tested the water about 1.5 hours later and pH hadn't moved at all. So, wanting to avoid a pH crash I decided on a 50% water change.

I did the 50% water change, let the tank run for about 45 minutes, tested the water and dosed ammonia back up to 4 ppm. By the way, pH had returned to about 7.2. Tested the tank this morning and - no surprise - ammonia was back to 0 ppm. Curiously, nitrites were reading high...about 5. I figured this was just a result of the large water change...not sure what else could've caused the setback.

With these test results, I dosed the tank back to 4 ppm for ammonia and immediately the water clouded up. It's about an hour later and the water is still cloudy. Not milky by any means, but cloudy. I have never experienced this in the past when fish-less cycling a tank; i.e., the water gets cloudy immediately after adding ammonia. I'm using the Ace Hardware 100% pure ammonia, by the way. Any advice/help??

Going on about 4 weeks since I set my 29-gallon tank up. Having had many tanks in the past, I knew that I was going with the fish-less cycling method again. I don't have any other tanks at the moment, so I started from scratch.

After about a week the ammonia levels started to come down some, and after a couple weeks, they were down to about .25 ppm in a 24-hour period. Last week they started dropping down to 0 ppm in a 24-hour period, and within the last 3-5 days they started dropping to 0 ppm overnight (i.e., dosing back to 4 ppm in the AM and the PM).

Yesterday I tested in the AM and, along with the expected ammonia reading of 0 ppm, nitrites were almost non-existent (finally...). I also noticed that my pH had fallen significantly (from about 7.4 to about 6.4). I've read on the ridiculously long fish-less cycling thread that since there aren't fish in the tank, using chemicals to help regulate pH at this point is OK. So, I headed to my LFS and picked up some pH regulator (for 7.0 pH) and followed the directions to dose my tank. I did clarify that it didn't have any other properties (e.g., water conditioner, etc.) because a couple of the brands I looked at either removed chlorine/chloramine/etc. or also detoxified ammonia. I tested the water about 1.5 hours later and pH hadn't moved at all. So, wanting to avoid a pH crash I decided on a 50% water change.

I did the 50% water change, let the tank run for about 45 minutes, tested the water and dosed ammonia back up to 4 ppm. By the way, pH had returned to about 7.2. Tested the tank this morning and - no surprise - ammonia was back to 0 ppm. Curiously, nitrites were reading high...about 5. I figured this was just a result of the large water change...not sure what else could've caused the setback.

With these test results, I dosed the tank back to 4 ppm for ammonia and immediately the water clouded up. It's about an hour later and the water is still cloudy. Not milky by any means, but cloudy. I have never experienced this in the past when fish-less cycling a tank; i.e., the water gets cloudy immediately after adding ammonia. I'm using the Ace Hardware 100% pure ammonia, by the way. Any advice/help??

I see a big problem here in red. and this is from the link you posted.

B) Add your dechlorinator to remove any chlorine / chloramines / heavy metals in your tap water. Chlorine is made to kill bacteria… bacteria is what you’re trying to grow. These 2 things don’t mix.

It stops the ammonia from harming fish but its still usable to the BB

I mentioned what you highlighted in red because I'm already using water conditioners to remove chlorine, chloramine, etc. From my past experiences and what I've read, you can over-condition the water so I wanted to be sure that anything I added didn't duplicate my water conditioning efforts.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I mentioned what you highlighted in red because I'm already using water conditioners to remove chlorine, chloramine, etc. From my past experiences and what I've read, you can over-condition the water so I wanted to be sure that anything I added didn't duplicate my water conditioning efforts.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ahhh got it. Miss read sorry.

Back
Top Bottom