Fishless cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swampman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am using AquaVitro Synthesis to cycle the tank. I was told this is a good way to fishless cycle.Synthesis has ammonia in it. It does have that odor. Yesterday I got the ammonia up to 2ppm. Today I checked ammonia is .50ppm,ph7,nitrite 0, nitrate 10. I am not adding any Synthesis. Am I doing this right? Can I add my plants to the water without killing them? I have them in a bucket of water now. Thanks
Photoman

:ermm::confused::fish1:

Plants can be added at anytime. The nitrogen in its various forms will not harm them. In fact, you may find that the plants may slightly reduce ammonia and nitrate. This should not affect cycling.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I concur with the plant at will approach stated by Fresh2o. I started a new tank a couple weeks ago with plants right off the bat, no issues.

There can be an issue with plants in the tank during the cycle. As you cycle you will get very high nitrate levels, which is GREAT for growing plant life. If you turn on your lights for the plants, you will likely have algae start growing. Perhaps even green water. And although neither is actually unhealthy, they do detract from the aesthetics of the tank and will take some time to clear up.
My recommendation is to remove the plants, turn the lights off and wait for the cycle to complete. After a massive water change bringing the nitrate levels down, then return the plants and turn the lights on.

There can be an issue... very high nitrate levels... likely have algae... Perhaps even green water.
I just completed a fishless cycle with plants from day 1 in my 125 gallon goldfish tank and had/have none of these issues. I think the "trick" in my particular case was adding plenty of ammonia right off the bat, then doing a PWC 2 weeks later as soon as nitirites started showing up, allowing the filter to catch up

I cycled my tank with plants, and it worked out just fine. I do have to say that I have pretty hardy plants that do not have high light demand. Keeping the light on for long periods can result in algae. That can happen even when not cycling. If you don't want to mess with your plants in the tank, I'd cut back photoperiod to 4 or 5 hrs until the cycle is complete.

Back
Top Bottom