Fishless cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black udder

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok...can't stand the mystery any longer and need some experienced information.

I've got a new 65g. Filled with water, dechlorinated, put in rocks (hard) and plants (it's freshwater for tropicals).

I've read several articles on fishless cycling, so figured I'd give it a try.

I took the ceramic rings from my established tank filter (Fulval 3) and put them in the new cannister filter (XP3). I picked up an ammonia detector (sticks on the glass) and I have the Aquarium Pharm. test kit. I picked up a bottle of clear ammonia from walmart and began the process.

The articles said 2-3 drops per 10g, but nothing registered on the detector on the glass, so I put in about 2 teaspoons (I have a syringe). Still nothing. Tried the AP test and it came back green, but not dark. My daughter and I figure about 1-2 on the chart. Nitrite is .5 on the chart.

Question is, do I just let it sit until the ammonia reaches 0? The sticker in the tank still looks like there's no ammonia in the tank, but if I put a drop on it, it turns purple like it should. Is that just not an accurate measure for the small amount of ammonia I need to put in the tank?

On the bright side, no major ill effects if I have to start from scratch...

Appreciate any input/advice.

If you took your filter media, you shouldn't need to cycle the tank as long as it was fresh, but now that you have added ammonia, you are going to have to go through the fishless cycle completely. I have to run so someone else will have to answer your question, but it should be a quick search in these forums too.

Sounds like you have some quality seed material there. If that's the case, it is possible to instantly cycle your tank, since the ceramic media probably has sufficient amounts of bacteria on it already.

Continue to feed ammonia until you get fish. If you put in a dose of ammonia and after 24 hours have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrItes, you're indeed cycled.

Make sure the ammonia you're using does NOT contain ANY perfumes, colors, scents, or surfactants though.

the ammonia has no additives, just water & ammonia. The tank is still showing ammonia after 24 hours though, so I don't think the tank is cycled. Nitrites are at .5 on the chart, so they're up a little. My guess is that the Aquarium Pharm test is the more accurate of the two tests.

I wouldn't rely on the stick on tests, only the API. Even though you used cycled media you still need to cycle the new filter so using the pure ammonia was the best choice. Keep dosing until the Ammonia reading after 24 hours reaches 0.

ok - that's closer to the answer I was looking for... to be more precise - Do I dose every day regardless of the reading? Or do I wait until it reads 0, then dose again. Wait until it reads 0, then dose again, etc. until I dose and it reads 0 in 24 hours? Then check nitrites.

I'm not sure about dosing while it's still reading 1-2.

When you get up in the morning test for Ammonia. If it's 0, Test for Nitrite. If it's 0, Test for Nitrate. If it's reading (above 10 ppm), you are cycled. If you have Ammonia present, dose. When you get to the point whre you have 0 Ammonia and present Nitrite, half the dosage. So if currently you are dosing 2 ml, only dose 1 ml during the Nitrite phase. Does that make sense? It's easiest to do this all in the AM since it's a consistant time. But you can change it to the pm if you want.

Basically, until your cycle completes, you want to keep your ammonia above 1ppm. Some say 2-3ppm, but IMO that's overkill. Won't hurt, but unneccessary as well. When you test after a 24 hour period and read 0 ammo and 0 nitrite, you're done. But, continue to dose daily until you get fish, to sustain the bacteria until the fish become the source for them.

Back
Top Bottom