Fishwrangler's 75gal Salty Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I moved the nepthea to an area of slightly left of where it was. The area gets a bit more flow so I'll see if it helps. I'll report back on Thursday to see what happens with it.

Happy Thanksgiving guys and gals of all ages. Hope everyone has a nice bird smoking, frying, or baking for dinner tonight.

I moved the nepthea again today, it was not happy at all where I had it. It is now getting more light and slightly more flow than before. Duncan is pouting a little bit; all the heads are fully opened just not extended. The kenya and xenia are nice and happy where they are. Clowns are bickering a bit kinda like two old married couples :lol: and the tang is nice and plump, getting seaweed sheets Sunday for him.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Kenya closed up 4 hours before lights out tonight and apparently 2 hours early yesterday.
Nepthea didn't open up today, will have to see how it does tomorrow.

I'm considered about making the other corals upset by adjusting the flow. I can't go lower or the kenya pouts, increasing it might cause the duncan or xenia to pout.

The nepthea is a medium flow coral like the duncan and kenya right?

I don't know if I'd compare the flow of those two to a Duncan...but I would have a better understanding if I was able to stand in front of the tank. Sadly not an option, but do what you can. Just keep in mind moving things around is stressful and constantly doing it will prevent it from adjusting to a spot as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Would a video help you get a better idea of flow hank?

I'll post a video tomorrow. I bumped the powerhead up 2 notches and so far no one has changed

Had to knock the flow down, kenya didn't like it. I was at my lfs today and the salty guy said low flow low light for the nepthea, unfortunately I don't have many places like that. I'll have to see about making a ledge for it to sit under.

In other news I got a green star polyp frag and 2 peppermint shrimp.

I forgot to ask about the light, but I will next time. Next time I go I'm getting a case of dry rock at 1.99 a pound, 25-30 pounds per case. I want to add the rock behind the current set up so it adds more cover for fish/inverts.

Redid part of the rock, wanted to make some low light and low flow areas for some corals.

I soooo wanted to buy the orange bambam zoa yesterday, but the star polyp won out

Have some good news and some bad news to report.
Good news- 1)The nepthea finally opened up all the way and is happy where it is. 2)The clownfish are still getting along with a little nipping, but nothing that has resulted in any damage. It seems to be just argument like fights, one clowns nips the anal fin of another, the one that got bit spins around, and it ends like that. I have seen both ocellaris and both percula being the nippers and the ones being nipped. 3) All the corals appear nice and happy now, happy corals=happy wrangler

Bad news-1) I can only find one peppermint shrimp out of the 2 I bought. 2) Red slime is coming back with vengeance, it is covering the sand behind and along the side of the rock work and is on some of the rock. 3) The bubble algae is spreading and I don't have an emerald crab to eat it.

Glad to hear about the corals and clowns! You're getting there! On the cyano just siphon that stuff out and I'd up your wcs. It's a pain in the butt battle but beatable. If it really gets out of control you could do a chemi clean treatment to get on top of it but I don't really reccomend chemi clean.

On bubble algae, I've just accepted this stupid algae. Nothing but emerald crabs eat it and mine always end up picking on corals so they got the sump boot. Just pull out big clumps when you can. It seems to still grow in lower nutrient systems too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Have some good news and some bad news to report.

Good news- 1)The nepthea finally opened up all the way and is happy where it is. 2)The clownfish are still getting along with a little nipping, but nothing that has resulted in any damage. It seems to be just argument like fights, one clowns nips the anal fin of another, the one that got bit spins around, and it ends like that. I have seen both ocellaris and both percula being the nippers and the ones being nipped. 3) All the corals appear nice and happy now, happy corals=happy wrangler

Bad news-1) I can only find one peppermint shrimp out of the 2 I bought. 2) Red slime is coming back with vengeance, it is covering the sand behind and along the side of the rock work and is on some of the rock. 3) The bubble algae is spreading and I don't have an emerald crab to eat it.

Algae strikes again! Don't give up man!

Caleb

I am doing a 25 gallon weekly wc with RO water, how much more should I do? My mixing barrel is only 32 gallons so I might be able to pull of 30 gallon changes but it would be risky moving it.
I'm wondering if I'm seeing the cyano because of the increased feedings. I went from half a frozen cube every other day to pellets most mornings and 1 full cube at night

Algae strikes again! Don't give up man!

Caleb

I have beat this type once, I can do it again!

Your next sw set up should be a 40B or something like that. I'm sure you could find a cheap sump on CL, and this time t5's might be the way to go ;)

My dad got some things from the pet store for me since I worked today.
He got 48 pounds of dry base rock, C-Balance, and a rock covered in misc. corals. The rock has at least 2 xenia species and 2 mushroom species. Pics will be up later

sounds like you guys have a plan , can't wait to see the new rock sculpture , I like to see you working with your dad as I miss not having my son around to work together with me,
I know between the both of you that tanks going to get nicer and nicer ,

Back
Top Bottom