Fishy Fungus Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyberkat

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a female Creamsicle Mollie that has a white moldy looking fungus on her. I have tried using Pimafix & Fungus Guard as well as Melafix (a time or two for open sores that will develope from the fungus). I just have this one sick fish that I can't seem to get well. Any suggestions on treatment meds since the above have not worked? This fish has had this fungus off and on for over 4 months, she's a fighter and I want her to win this battle!!
sign_help.gif

Have you tried isolating her to a separate hospital tank with a little salt and maybe daily water changes? Or do large daily water changes in your main tank.

I actually do have her seperated in her own tank. I can give the salt and daily water changes a try though; good idea. Thanks Ashleynicole!!

Ok, give the salt & frequent water changes a try & see if there any improvement. If you dont see any change or if it starts to get worse, then you can try a course of antibiotics. Granted, the primary ingredients in the fungus guard are antibiotics but they are common & not quite as effective as some others available. Keep us posted!

Ok, if the salt & water changes don't work which antibiotic should I use? Hopefully I won't need the new antibiotic but if I do I'll know what to buy!! :) Thanks for your help.

I would try something a bit stronger than what you did use. Kanamycin would be my first choice (Seachem's Kanaplex or Kana-Pro from national fish pharmecuticals). Maracyn 2 (minocycline) would be my second choice which is carried in most petsmart chains. Good luck & keep us posted! :)

Back
Top Bottom