Fissidens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It requires medium or medium-low light. Growing it like any moss in a wall form is possible. Unfrotunately fissidens grows frustratingly slowly and is a very small plant so it'd be many months before you're going to be covering much unless you invest like 50-100 dollars in a large starting portion.

I was told that fissidens is better than java moss to use as a wall cos you dont have to trim it as much, which obviously is where the slow growing comes in. If im wanting to grow out my wall by xmas say, would java moss be my best option.
I use a medium type light fixture wityh no co2 and i add seachems flourish twice a week. What do you think? Could i get it done by xmas?

Maybe. Fissidens can be frustrating. If you can get it to grow it looks great, but portions are often sold after growing emersed, and a lot of people have them die off before they actually start growing in their tank.

I was told that fissidens is better than java moss to use as a wall cos you dont have to trim it as much, which obviously is where the slow growing comes in. If im wanting to grow out my wall by xmas say, would java moss be my best option.
I use a medium type light fixture wityh no co2 and i add seachems flourish twice a week. What do you think? Could i get it done by xmas?

How big is the tank and how much money are you willing to spend on a starting portion. If you bought like 1 2x2 patch to say cover a 20 gallon you're in for a long wait. maybe 5-6 months.

That's also assuming you're not hit by algae.

when you say ppl have them die off, do you mean like purposely kill them off? cos it takes forever to grow?
ill be honest im inpatient man, so if i get some fissidens and it takes like a year to even appear to grow i might go crazy. i might just use the java moss for my wall and the fissidens for my dw or rock if thats the case.

when you say ppl have them die off, do you mean like purposely kill them off? cos it takes forever to grow?
ill be honest im inpatient man, so if i get some fissidens and it takes like a year to even appear to grow i might go crazy. i might just use the java moss for my wall and the fissidens for my dw or rock if thats the case.

Many plants have two forms: emersed and submersed. Aquatic plants are generally found in shallow waters that can change in depth. Sometimes the water they're in dries up so they're forced to become emersed which basically means terrestrial. When the waters return they go back to submersed growth. Some plants have problems converting back to submersed growth because they're used to the higher light and co2 content of open air growing.

Commercial growers of aquarium plants take advantage of the faster speed, algae free and cheaper to sustain growth of emergent plants. If you buy from other aquatic plant hobbyists however you should normally receive submersed form.

Really it depends on how much $$$ you're willing to spend starting out and how much space you've got to cover.

Saying you spent 40 dollars I'd say you'd get about enough to cover 80% in a thin layer (assuming you bought from other hobbyists) and you'd have enough to do the rest in about 3-5 months. Is there a reason you want fissidens? There are tons of mosses out there like christmas, taiwan, flame, peacock, willow and many many more (many of these are also faster growers and cheaper on top of that)

i just heard fissidens was the better quality of the mosses. all i want is something that will grow with ease fast and still look pretty. java moss looks more like its for dw and rocks since it attches to that stuff pretty easy. I need some kinda moss that i can find in the states without having to wait like 2 weeks to get it from hong kong or some place like that.

I'm telling you, don't buy from those online companies. Go to forums like the planted tank and aquatic plant central and buy from other hobbyists via paypal. The shipping is generally priority(2-3days) and you get top notch material at very very competitive prices. Fissidens is no different from the other mosses, really. It's all an opinion of looks. Again, check out some of the other mosses I listed and see what you like. People on TPT and APC definitely have enough to sell to you.

Back
Top Bottom