FLAKE FOODS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tampa

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is the shelf life of flake fish food? In other words, when is it time to throw old food out?

This is a really good question, because fish CAN and DO get food poisoning!!!

The shelf life of dry fish food largely depends on where/how you store it. For best results, flake food should be stored in a cool, dry place. If you keep your flake food in your humid basement fishroom or on top of the tank, it will probably absorb more moisture and spoil faster. Keeping the container well sealed helps prolong its life.

Unopened dry foods last for several years, regardless of the expiration date on the label. That's just the date beyond which the company will no longer warranty the product. Of course, some flavor and nutrients are lost over time, but I have no qualms about using a bottle of flake that is one year past the expiration date, so long as it was never opened.

I date my dry foods when I open them, and toss them after a year. If you store your foods in humid conditions, 6 months would probably be safer.

Frozen foods should be tossed after six months - they are often the source of fish food poisoning when improperly stored or kept for too long. Better to err on the side of caution as you would with your own frozen food.

I have an opened old golden fish flake and it is 14 years old. It is still GOOD and DRY! I feed it to my community fish and don't see any problem.

Fish foods can have a shelf life. The vitamins lose their potency in some cases and you aren't providing the healthy diet to your fish that you think you are. I appreciate the fact that all of my Hikari foods say what date they are best used by.

Back
Top Bottom