Flame Scallop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IfoundNemo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just bought a Red Flame Scallop last night. I understand that it requires daily feedings of micro plankton. But, is there any other alternative foods it could eat as well? TIA

Thats pretty much all they eat. Good luck, this animal has a dismal survival record in captivity. Even with my best efforts I was only able to keep one for about 3 months before its demise. They are very hard to feed. Not saying you can't do it, but the odds are stacked against you. :|
Too bad because they are beautiful.

I have read that they are short lived - even in the wild. They live only about two years. By the time we buy them in the stores they are already "elderly".

I have a question has anyone ever had any experience with the "electric flame scallop" please let me know. Are they the same thing as the flam scallop fill me in because I think they are very interesting but don't want to buy someting that lives for 3 months in the best conditions, and my tank certanially isn't best I would classify it as stable.

"electric flame scallop" please let me know. Are they the same thing as the flam scallop fill me in
Yes their diets are the same, coloration is the only difference. They feed primarily on phytoplankton cells that are in a very small size range making feeding such a problem.

mine survived for 6-7 months on DT's ...
good luck..
it was a electric flame...
the regular flame scallops don't "spark"

DT's is the only phyto that comes close in offering the right size food particles b/c it is live(good stuff!). The unrefrigerated, off-the-shelf stuff does have some benefits, but not many. Also, every time you add those unrefrigerated, off-the-shelf phyto's you also add preservatives to your tank..ugh!

Do they filter feed? Would I be able to add like a plankton thing to my tank? Also how would I spot feed with plankton does it come in sheets or pellets also?

Here are some Invertebrate foods i find on Drsfostersmith.com

Liquid Life Olankton
MarineSnow Planton
Liquidfy Marine
Ivertebrate Target
PhytoPlex Phytoplankton
ZooPlex
ZoPlan (dried crustacean & other creatures)

Back
Top Bottom