Flaming Red Clam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyFamily

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
I got a clam yesterday at the lfs that was labeled as a Red Flaming Clam, but I have not been able to find anything about it on the internet. Does this particular type of clam go by another name or something?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• clam_208.jpg
    clam_208.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 100
Try searching for flaming scallop. Lima scabra
They have a dismal survivability rate in captivity.

It needs fed often. This is gonna help degrade your water so be prepared for water changes. Not sure if you have Fenner's book or not but he says they normally starve to death in the home aquarium and suggests keeping them with delicate fish like seahorses or gobies. They shouldn't be kept with stinging animals and starfish.

I really appreciate your advice. I am adding phytoplankton to my water, will that work or do I need something more?

I would try several different things. Maybe some phytoplan, cyclops, marine snow and oyster eggs along with your phytoplankton. You can never have to much variety.

I have had a Flame Scallop for about a month and it is thriving. The first week I'd wake up each day and it would be in a different location. Now it has found a nice crevasse and I just feed it the same food I feed my corals:

I have had a flame scallop (got it before I knew of their survival rate...first newbie impulse buy) and I have had him for about 6 months. I feed him DT's and he seems to be doing ok. I really really like him and the color he adds, I was so sad to see that he has a low survival rate. I baby him, feed him well and check on him all the time. LOL He might be my favorite, (after my coral banded shrimp Jaques of course) we named him Raiden.

Oh BTW, I feed with a turkey baster right up on him and after a while he didn't even "clam" up when I squirted him...its like he knows...haha.

Good luck with yours...

I have had a flame scallop (got it before I knew of their survival rate...first newbie impulse buy) and I have had him for about 6 months. I feed him DT's and he seems to be doing ok. I really really like him and the color he adds, I was so sad to see that he has a low survival rate. I baby him, feed him well and check on him all the time. LOL He might be my favorite, (after my coral banded shrimp Jaques of course) we named him Raiden.

I feed my corals and scallop DT's also and it works great.

Well so far he seems to be doing well. I feed him with a turkey baster each evening and I'm crossing my fingers. :-D Are there any signs to watch for that would mean that he is not getting enough nutrition? I guess my fear is that I may think he's doing fine and then all of a sudden find that he is not.

Pardon my ignorance, but what are DTs?

Well so far he seems to be doing well. I feed him with a turkey baster each evening and I'm crossing my fingers. Very Happy Are there any signs to watch for that would mean that he is not getting enough nutrition? I guess my fear is that I may think he's doing fine and then all of a sudden find that he is not.

Pardon my ignorance, but what are DTs?

DT's is a Coral Food of phytoplankon. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• dt_s_coral_food_182.jpg
    dt_s_coral_food_182.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 537
OK, TAlk about not paying attention.... LOL. That is the same product I'm feeding my scallop. Thanks for the fast reply. :-D

Back
Top Bottom