Flatworms and Mandarin Dragonettes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone know whether or not mandarins will indeed eat flatworms, or if it is just a hit and miss thing like peppermint shrimp and aiptasia,.....

Wow, I never heard of them eating flatworms. What a bonus that would be.
I'll watch this thread out of interest.

From Aquacon.com (not the best source of info): Beautiful coloration, reminds me of the paisley patterns famous in the 60's. Excellent tank companions as well for sea horses and pipe fish. Good for keeping brown flatworms under control in reef aquariums.

I have found a few references such as this, with none being from what I would call reputable sources. So I figured I would ask here. I also have read that the 6 line wrasse and dragon wrasse would eat them.....6 line is a possibility for sure but not the dragon in a reef tank.

In the Marine fishes book it says that the spotted mandarinfish will eat brown flat worms.
the 4,6,8 line wrasse also say they will eat flat worms.
There are also nudibranches that will eat flat worms..... Only problem is when the FW are gone so are the nudis... :(

I knew the nudi's were not a good idea. At least the wrasses will eat other foods when the flatworms are gone. I think I will try 6 lines.

Let us know how it goes. I've got a large population of flatworms that I'm tired of siphoning out every weekend.

sure will, I was pondering the "leave em alone til they reproduce en masse and then starve themselves out" method.....but I think I will shop for a wrasse.

Hara said:
or if it is just a hit and miss thing like peppermint shrimp and aiptasia,.....
More miss than hit actually, so are most other claimed fish species. At least with the wrasse option, you won't need to worry about the care needs after the fact.

Have you considered faltworm exit by Salifert?

Cheers
Steve

I did consider the flatworm exit, but I felt with the size of the tank, it would just be too much to have to try to overcome with carbon and waterchanges. I am keeping that as a last resort.

Like they say it is 50/50 if the fish will eat what you want...
i know a few guys that have used FW exit with good results.... I have the brown FW in my 20 fuge on my fowlr and they just keep producing.... I'm lucky that they have not migrated to the main tank.. All it takes is 1 and then there is 2 then 4 then hundreds :cry:
It will be interesting to see how the fish works out... Good luck.

Which tank is it and do you have a good GPH canister filter?

Cheers
Steve

I have a question about manderins that I have always wondered, don't mean to hijack the thread. I was reading a article about isopods, do manderins eat those or do the isopods eat them. LOL, seriously I do want to know.

clowninround said:
do manderins eat those or do the isopods eat them.
Depends on the species and size of the isopods but the short answer would be both.

Cheers
Steve

I am in a similar situation were I would rather not medicate and risk losing anything to the flatworm exit.

Keep siphoning off a hundred at a time it seems. I have searched and found several places that say mandarins will eat them. or even a scooter blenny. I also read several reviews that say that if you do not kill all of the flatworms in the first dose, they can become immune. I'd rather find a predator for them.

Hara, have you gotten anywhere with the wrasse or mandarin. I personally want a mandarin anyway and I think that my tank can support it.

to be honest, can't find either as of yet. LFS has not gotten new stuff in for a bit.
I didnt want to have to pay shipping on one small fish, so when I find one, I will surely let you know.

I'm having a problem with flats too. I had a terrible outbreak and vac'ed them a couple times. My LFS told me to try a scooter blenny, and I did. I haven't seen the scooter eat them, but the number of flats has decreased dramatically. I bought salifert's flatworm exit to have on hand if they come back in droves again, but am scared of it because my LFS said my corals would draw up for a couple weeks, and it would make my two tangs and two clowns very sick. Keep us posted on the mandarin and six line as those were the two that I wanted to try, but was in the same situation as you are on availability.

I went and bought the scooter blenny last night. It seems a little easier to keep than the mandarin from what I have read. I have him in the QT though. I am not sure how long to keep him there. He seems to be in excellent shape and is very active and curious. I just don't want to starve him while he is in there. He doesn't seem interested in frozen brine.

I even thought about vacuuming out the flat worms and putting a few in the QT. I can always dry it up and get rid of them that way if he doesn't eat them. :twisted:

Two days ago I got a six line wrasse. I have to say that if it is only a 50/50 shot, than my luck was in. This guy has been eating flatworms like crazy and luckily it is also eating frozen food. At this rate, in a week, I wont have any flatworms left for him :)

Back
Top Bottom