Flea Bomb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankBoss

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Will my fish survive for hours if I cover and seal the top of the tank? I have a flea prob and I'm not sure if there is another way!

I've flea bombed my house a few times and just covered the tanks with garbage bags and duct tape, come back in 8 hours and all is well.

I cut the power off to the entire house during that time also.

jetajockey said:
I've flea bombed my house a few times and just covered the tanks with garbage bags and duct tape, come back in 8 hours and all is well.

I cut the power off to the entire house during that time also.

So you think that my 55 gal will be fine for 8hrs? No filtration or heat?

jetajockey said:
My tanks were fine, not that I really had a choice, but yeah everything was fine, I've done it twice.

If you are really concerned you could hook up a battery powered air pump.

Cool. Thanks a lot for the help.

absolutely do NOT use an air pump! that will pump permthrin right into the tank via the air and you can kiss your fish goodbye.

8 hours w/o filtration should be a-ok. I might remove the filter media and place it in a bucket outside with an air pump pugged into an outside outlet to keep it viable. in some cases you can hang the hang on back power filters on the bucket, and run powerhead or air powered sponge filters and canister filters in the bucket. the key is to not let the media go anaerobic and die. fish routinely get shipped w/o filtration for a lot longer than 8 hours - ditto no heat. I would cover the tank with plastic and a blanket - maybe even 3 layers.

i have had to do this in the past and suffered no deaths.

IvanMike said:
absolutely do NOT use an air pump! that will pump permthrin right into the tank via the air and you can kiss your fish goodbye.

8 hours w/o filtration should be a-ok. I might remove the filter media and place it in a bucket outside with an air pump pugged into an outside outlet to keep it viable. in some cases you can hang the hang on back power filters on the bucket, and run powerhead or air powered sponge filters and canister filters in the bucket. the key is to not let the media go anaerobic and die. fish routinely get shipped w/o filtration for a lot longer than 8 hours - ditto no heat. I would cover the tank with plastic and a blanket - maybe even 3 layers.

i have had to do this in the past and suffered no deaths.

Thanks.... Yeah, the pump didn't sound good to me.

Back
Top Bottom