Flicking fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone. Last sunday i got 4 new dicus. One has a cloudy eye but apparently thats no big deal as long as i keep my water top, which i am doing so im not that worried.
However ever since yesterday i have noticed my bolivian rams are flicking against the substrate apart from this they appear healthy and have their appetite. All other fish seem healthy.
My tank is 240l 63 us gallons, planted with a fluval 305. Water temp is 27 degrees c.
I change 120 litres minimum a week.
Api master kit
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

How old are your discus? Your temp is way to low. Your cloudy eye discus will just get worse unless your temp is raised to it least 84% F. (29C) the first thing you do when you have a sick discus is to raise temp! Young discus need water at 84-86F while adults can handle 83-84 F water. Remember they live in the amazon, water can get up to 90 F some days there, they like it warm!

Ok thanks ill try that, i dont know how old they are, they aren't adults though.
Any thoughts on why my ram is flicking?

Okay, and well how many inches are they? The usually get fully grown around 1-2 years of age! I haven't really ever kept rams! But my guess would be they could be surprised with the 4 new discus! Other then that I have no idea! Sorry!

Im pretty sure the rams are full-grown they are about 2/3 inches

Attachments

• image-621562910.jpg
    image-621562910.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 99
What do your discus look like?!

And your tank looks really nice, and your rams look nice!

Just keep an eye on your rams, they should be fine!

Heres 2 of them

Attachments

• image-3125938523.jpg
    image-3125938523.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 93
Good looking discus! They look about 2inches or so? They'll def get some good size going!
What do you feed them?

My rams are still flicking does anyone know what causes them to do this?

Sometimes parasites cause this .. it usually reminds me of ich. However, if your water is clean maybe it is temperature related.

Flashing (suddenly rubbing against things like the substrate or decor) is often the result of a parasite or similar issue. Fish with ich will flash too. How long has the flashing been going on? Any other sort of symptoms on any other fish?

About 5 days ago. Its just the rams flicking
Could they have got something from the discus?

Yes, they could have. Unfortunately, there is not much you can do about flashing unless you know what is causing it. Rams like warm water, so I highly doubt that the temp has anything to do with it. New fish always have the chance to introduce new things into the aquarium.
Do you have a test kit to measure your water parameters?

Back
Top Bottom