Floating Lettuce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sydsmom367

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've heard of people floating lettuce leaves in their tank for the fish to nibble on them. Would iceberg be ok? Are there any healthy benefits or is it just a simple treat?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Some fish really enjoy veggies. You should blanch the lettuce, any kind, in boiling water for a few minutes. You can also try cucumber, dandelion leaves, zucchini, or just about any veggie. I found that feeding a variety of foods keeps my fish healthy.

Some fish really enjoy veggies. You should blanch the lettuce, any kind, in boiling water for a few minutes. You can also try cucumber, dandelion leaves, zucchini, or just about any veggie. I found that feeding a variety of foods keeps my fish healthy.

+1 on the veggies!

Natural sources of vitamins and minerals are more easily absorbed by the body (fish or human) than the synthetic and processed versions available in commercial foods. Iceberg lettuce though lacks any substantive nutritional value. Stick to dark green, red or purple varieties of lettuces or consider spinach, kale, collard or turnip greens.

I do blanch some veggies (particularly tough ones) but my guys and girls are perfectly happy devouring batches of fresh greens that I stick in a clip that is weighted down with a rock. Greens rarely last longer than a hour in most cases. Please ask any questions! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom