Floating snail means...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manoosie

Aquarium Advice Regular
My golden snail is floating on the top of the water. I push him down and he comes right back up. What is the deal, is he a gonner?

I had this happen to my black mystery snail a couple of weeks ago. It acted very strange (i.e. lethargic, not coming out of the shell, etc.) for 3 or 4 days including the whole floating routine and then was fine. I still have no idea.

One of my snails did this... and i picked it up and smelled it.. and well... he was dead.

yeah i would do the touch his foot thing and find out, but i do know they tend to float at the top of a tank for a bit then settle back down. sounds like fun to me! :D

Soon, you'll see it "push" the air bubble out and it will go floating back down to the bottom of the tank. Pretty cool to watch! If it retracts when you touch the bottom of it, that's a good sign like everyone else said.

Dead snail is also a very distinct (and horrific) odor. A quick sniff will tell you all you need to know. If it makes you want to throw up, give him a quick chuck in the trash. :)

Probably crusing. Enjoy. 8)

ok, he has been floating for three days so he has not been floating for fun, thats for sure. I pulled him out and smelled him, didnt smell anything funny. Just put him back in, and a few hours later he is holding on for dear life to the side of my filter output at the top of the water! I want to pull him off to see if he sinks, but I dont think I will yet...

trust me, if it is dead you will know, i smelled mine and there was NO question it was a dead one.

AshleyNicole said:
trust me, if it is dead you will know, i smelled mine and there was NO question it was a dead one.
No question at all. I had one die about a month ago and phew, that was some smell... :roll: :oops:

What are your water stats? (Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte, etc) A snail that floats for extended periods of time is often a sign of poor water conditions, as they use floating to move to a different/better location.

perfect water conditions, and his shell looks fine. Wonder where he will be in the morning...

I have gone through about 3 snails and they tend to float sometimes. I usually leave them be for a few days and if they haven't pushed out the air bubble, I do the touch foot thing. At that time, if it stinks, trash time. Its a very distinct smell. Something that you will never forget. :censor:

Back
Top Bottom