floating snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
My fav snail is floating upside down and sucking at the air. I haven't seen him on the wall or anything since two days ago. Water params are fine, but my filter stopped working again (it is the crappy AT that came with the tank) and this time it hasn't started back up yet.

Also I have less snails than I started with (not counting the ones I gave Alejandro) but I am seeing snail eggs everywhere. PFS substrate.

This is in my 5G QT so it won't be too big of a deal but I cycled the filter media and was planning on running that in the 30 just to help it a little bit.

What kind of snail is it? Mysteries will learn to climb and siphon the surface of the water at feeding time. They'll also suck in air and float around.

I have ramshorns that appear to crawl across the underside of the surface of the water. It's pretty cool to watch.

If it's MTS, I've never seen one float, but they're very good at hiding. There are times you'd never know I had snails in my tanks, but there are thousands buried in the sand. Check the tank about an hour after dark or drop an algae tablet in and come back in an hour. Your snails should be up and about.

I have MTS and ramshorns in there; the floating one is an MTS. Will they be ok without the filter? It isn't working

If the tank is established, it'll be fine for a few days, maybe longer if you've only got snails in there. I'd repair or replace the filter as soon as possible.

mts dont normally float. my guess is it might have died. mts will survive anything so dont worry about not having a filter. i had a tank i emptied and dry a month. filled it back with water and out they came.

Snails dont need a filter, but an air stone might help. heck, blowing bubbles with a straw would help.

I had a snail grow tank that was a 1 gallon glass bowl in the sun with some plants in it. no filter, nothing. the snails looked happy as clams. I threw in some lettuce once in a while. the water was slightly green and the only real problem came when I saw some mosquito larvae swimming around

Well he isn't dead, I saw him moving around. I do think he is dieing though. He went into his shell when I picked him up but there is something white on him, like he is losing his color. All the other snails are fine but he isn't doing so hot. :( He was my fav.

All of my baby MTS float, and I have no idea why. They are all alive, but they float around for the first few days. Easier to catch that way I guess LOL.

UGH I just found a bunch in my other tank! From the substrate and decor that I added I am guessing... I didn't know about the babies when I did. I really didn't want a billion snails in that tank but if they survive the nitrite spike... I wonder if it is possible to have a few MTS. Maybe I will look for an assassin snail to keep them in check!

You can control the amount of mts by the amount you feed, and they're a pretty good indicator of that. When I left for like 6 months and left my mom to take care of my tank, there was like a pretty thick protein film on the top, and the mts would "crawl" upside down on the surface of the water, and you'd see like a little.. upside down bubble, where the surface tension was keeping the snail up.

Dk, I might be pming you for some MTS because I am actually starting to think that my 'mts' are really pond snails, I saw a profile site and the MTS seem to look different than my 'mts' Ugh I am such a blonde sometimes. The LFS did tell me there were MTS in there but maybe they didn't know wth they were talking about. That seems to happen often with lfs... And I will keep mgamer in mind as well.

yea im blonde . they are definitely pond snails. -_-

Well I won't have money on thursday for those but I will def pm you again and we can set something up. I'm waiting on my otos for the 10 atm and then I will probably get some golden white clouds from severum mama, most likely will pm you around that time (in about 2 weeks or so) thanks :)

ugh i feel so stupid right now lol

I have thousands of MTS in my tanks. I usually see few to none above the sand unless it's dark or there's food on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom