Florida Flag Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a Florida Flag Fish that is just staying on the bottom of the tank, and not moving much at all. He was an active swimmer at first, now he is just at the bottom of the tank and staying upright, under my drift wood. He moves a little and is in a different hiding space every day, but still on the bottom looking lethargic.

My Water Test.
No ammonia
No nitrates
No nitrites
PH 8.1 (Straight out of well water)

I can't figure out why this little guy seems to be having such an issue. All of my other fish are fine and healthy.

I have a 29 gallon tank with the " MarineLand Emperor 400" filter and a "AquaClear 110 (AKA: Fluval). That's 120 gallons of filtration for a 29 gallon tank. My Extra baskets the Emperor 400 comes with are filled with Bio-Rings from Fluval for extra bio filtration!

My fish stock is as follows.

2 Silver Dollars
4 Black Neon Tetras
3 Neon Tetras
1 Glow Danio
2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Buenos Aires Tetra
1. Cory Catfish
1 High Fin Pleco (Being grown out to be put in my 120, he is small right now)
1 Flag Fish (The new guy)

I had another Flag Fish and it had something wrong with his swim sack, and I tried everything I could to help the guy. Nothing worked and he ended up dying. After that my other flag fish went into hiding, he was perfectly fine and healthy until the other one passed.

I did treat my tank with fungus guard to help with the swim bladder issue, I gave the fish with the issue pea's, and a salt bath.

So in the end, I have all of my other fish perfectly healthy with lots of drift wood, rock formations, fake plants, and moss balls in my tank. My water is perfect, and I can't figure out whats going on. I am thinking of turning my RO/DI system back on, and making water again. I have not used it after I gave up on salt-water.

I don't know if the PH could be the factor, but wouldn't my other fish be having issues?

PH:6.7-8.2
Hardness:Hard and alkaline. dH range: 6.0-20.0°
I don't think it's the ph they ate bottom/mid fish, i have one as well, why do you have so much filtration?

My American flag (Jordanella floridae) does the same thing, also the Buenos Aires tetras are very aggressive I have two that I got to take my to my LFS and give them away cuz they attack every fish in my tank, to rule this out you can turn the lights off in your tank if you have lunar blue lights it helps out but if you don't just turn the lights off sit far away from the tank so they can't see you and just watch for aggression.

Hope this helps in a newbie but i have alot of the same fish you do and i do notice the tetras are bullies

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom