Floruish Excel and a 10 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PK Tester

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all..

Can Floruish Excel provide enough CO2 for a 10 gallon tank with say 2.0 ~ 2.5 wpg?

Thanks!

I've been using flourish for the last two weeks on my 10gal. The plants seem to be growing but not an an extremely fast rate. There is no pearling or anything of that nature. I'm going to setup dyi co2 tomorrow to see if i can boost growth more.

SnyperP,

What kind of light do you have and how much did it cost?

I'm thinking of MAYBE redoing my 12 gallon Eclipise and retrofitting my other 10gal.

Depends...

Flourish Excel is not a CO2 replacement, rather it provides your plants with photosynthesis precursors. This is equivalent to giving plants a head start on assembling the chemicals they use for photosynthesis and can help out with growth, but is no substitute for CO2 supplementation. I tried using Excel to take the place of CO2 in a high light tank for several months and ended up with a terrible algae outbreak until I finally bit the bullet and got CO2, but in a medium light (2.0-2.5 wpg) environment it just might do the trick. Only one way to find out :)

I use Flourish Excel on several 10g tanks (1.5 wpg) and it works well for me. I don't have any high light plants in these tanks but my Cryptocorynes and Dwarf Sag are thriving. Algae hasn't been a problem either.

Oh, sorry PK i didn't see your message. Right now i use two 15 watt screw in spiral cf lights. In conjuction with that i use a 13 watt 6700k cf light directly over my microswords. I had the screw in bulbs laying around the house, but i imagine they only cost a few dollars. I had the ballast for the 13watt cf laying around as well. The bulb cost me 5 dollars from HD.

I just ordered the ahsupply 2x13w deluxe bright kit, it believe it came out to almost $50.00. I think it was the reflector that sold me, i've been hearing alot about it.

I just setup my dyi co2 today actually. Instant pearling on alot of my plants. I suppose plants break down co2 into carbon and o2. Now to start on fertilizing. =/

SnyperP, do you have any pictures of your aquarium that could be posted? I'm curious to see what your tank looks like.

Back
Top Bottom