Flouramax

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cauterox04

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is the t8 bulb a high light bulb or Is it low light I don't get it this lighting thing

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

3 watts per gallon & down are low lights.... 3 Watts per gallon & up is high lights ? as a general rule. An accurate measurement can be done with a par meter

The watts per gallons is actually quite useless. There are just too many variables.

What's the size of the tank and length of the fixture?

Generally t8 is low light unless its a really really shallow tank.

It's a 29 gallon what light should I get than to make my plants grow better

It's a 29 gallon what light should I get than to make my plants grow better

That's a loaded question. The higher lights require more than just the light fixtures. Going from low to a higher light level will start to necessitate the usage of fertilizers and carbon supplementation. The light you should shop for is also completely determined by the types of plants you want to keep.

Offhandedly a 2 bulb t5ho fixture should put you at the high end of the medium light spectrum. Along with that I would suggest the dosage of excel and dry fertilizers.

Take a look at this link. It's a bit technical but it has a ton of info on par levels for different light fixtures.

Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts

Blurb from the link:
Low light - 15-30 micromols of PAR - CO2 is not needed, but is helpful to the plants
Medium light - 35-50 micromols of PAR - CO2 may be needed to avoid too many nuisance algae problems
High light - more than 50 micromols of PAR - pressurized CO2 is essential to avoid major algae problems

I have 1 T5HO 3X54W, 1 T5HO 4X54 W...but neither can hold a candle for growing plants like my Kessil A150W Amazon sun light.

Yeah, the kessils are great. They are also really expensive and don't offer the greatest amount of coverage. There's more economical lighting systems that will grow plants just the same as the kessils.

The Kessil is on a 35 gallon hex, so I only need a small footprint. I am thinking of purchasing a Finnex Ray II for my 55 gallon. Thoughts?

I got a planted plus for my 20 tall, glut and ferts, after a few weeks it has boosted growth quite a big, my narrow leaf chain swords are sending out runners everywhere.. For a 55 I'd recommend one of each a ray 2 and planted plus to get you to. Med/high light on that tank...

Thanks Brookster and Mebbid. I have lost two ballasts on my Catalina Aquarium fixture (T5), so I need something soon.

If highly recommend going led.. If you want to spend $200.. Dual finnex.. $300-$350...buildmyled!!!

That looks really cool!!! It says they emmit a buzz from the fan that is anything but pleasant???

Back
Top Bottom