Flourescent bulb advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scelzin1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 48" one bulb fixture for my 55 gal fowlr tank that I am getting ready to setup. I don't want to spend money to buy a new fixture unless absolutely needed. However my question is what brand / kelvin bulb would you recommend buying to obtain the Most realistic natural white light kind of feel? ( as I really can't stand lights with a yellowish tint). From my online research the zoo Med brand such as the "reef sun" for example sounds great as its description is natural sunlight at 10,000K. Anyone have this brand they can write a review for me or recommend another brand. What range of K should I be purchasing to have that natural white sunlight feel ? 6,500K or 10,000 K. What should I use for a blueish color for night time affect? Any description of he different ranges of bulbs for a novice to understand would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to start! Just want to make sure I cover my basis before diving into this beautiful hobby

Florescent Tank Lighting

I have a 48" one bulb fixture for my 55 gal fowlr tank that I am getting ready to setup. I don't want to spend money to buy a new fixture unless absolutely needed. However my question is what brand / kelvin bulb would you recommend buying to obtain the Most realistic natural white light kind of feel? ( as I really can't stand lights with a yellowish tint). From my online research the zoo Med brand such as the "reef sun" for example sounds great as its description is natural sunlight at 10,000K. Anyone have this brand they can write a review for me or recommend another brand. What range of K should I be purchasing to have that natural white sunlight feel ? 6,500K or 10,000 K. What should I use for a blueish color for night time affect? Any description of he different ranges of bulbs for a novice to understand would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to start! Just want to make sure I cover my basis before diving into this beautiful hobby

Hello Scel...

I use 6500K, 32 watt, T8s in my planted tanks. Supposedly, the 6500K bulbs mimic natural daylight at 5500K. The 6500K, 40 watt, T12s will work too. GE has a very good aquarium plant bulb you can get at any hardware store for a few dollars each.

Attached is a pic of one of my 55 G tanks with two, florescent, 48 inch, T8s. A simple tank, no extra "bells & whistles". Just some plants that need low to moderate light and a little liquid fert once a week and weekly water changes.

Have fun!

Attachments

• WP Low Tech 55G.jpg
    WP Low Tech 55G.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 89
Just to clarify, 6500K tubes do not mimic natural light at 5500K; 5500K tubes do.The 6500K mimics an afternoon or early morning colour temp, a little bluer than a high noon light. My preference is for 5000K tubes, as they seem to grow plants better, and the plants look better, but both will work, so go with the one you like the look of and look for one with a high CRI. The so called "plant and aquarium" lights are very pink and not very bright.

Thanks for the input guys but will these bulbs you are advising work for saltwater aquarium fish only with live rock?

Back
Top Bottom