Flourish excel and osmocote plus with Red Cherry Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello I wanted to know if using flourish excel and osmocote diy root tabs will harm RCS since they have small amount of copper and copper is bad for them? Also how often should i use flourish excel on a 1.4 wpg tank? I was thinking 1-2 times a week.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I dose Excel daily in my medium light low tech tank. I'd suggest every other day at a minimum. I don't think 1 to 2 times a week is enough.

I don't keep shrimp so while I think the amount of Cu is too small to worry about, it would be better answered by a shrimp keeper. I don't remember Excel even having Cu in it, but I'll have to go read the label.

Excel is completely fine with shrimp as long as you don't overdose. As far as the O+ I have no idea. I use them in my main tank but have no experience using them with shrimp. (y)

Excel is safe for shrimp as long as you don't over dose. Osmocote root tabs are also safe as long as you place the root tabs very deep in the substrate.

Shrimp actually need minute amounts of copper to remain healthy. It's important in immune function and oxygenation.

The amount of copper on O+ is soo small that you don't need to worry about it at all.

You will also need to dose the Excel daily for it to work properly. It breaks down within 12 hours or so. It's safe for neocardinia shrimp (RCS) and fish dosed in concentrations up to 1ml / gallon. Likely a little higher is fine, that's just as high as I ever dosed it.

Ok thanks. I guess I'll be dosing flourish excel daily then

Excel is safe for shrimp as long as you don't over dose. Osmocote root tabs are also safe as long as you place the root tabs very deep in the substrate.

How deep?

Back
Top Bottom